Oil change question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you change your oil do you jack it up so the front is up higher or do you keep it level? Now that my truck is lifted I sit decently level and I was wondering if it's better or not to have it sit level when doing oil change or not. In theory I think jacking front up is better because the bolt is facing towards back end so when it's lifted in front all will drain but was just curious.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
It just doesn't matter that much.
I know guys that do oil changes on they're Harley's and run them a couple minutes then do another oil change. Just to be sure to get all the "old" oil out. What an amazing waste of synthetic oil and a filter.
But getting every drop of old oil out is not a big deal.

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I drive up on some ramps to give me more room under the truck. It really doesn't matter, it's more of a personal preference as to what's easiest for you. The oil will drain out either way since the pan has a sump at the bottom. I always run the engine to get some temperature in the oil so it flows out a little better/faster. I'll wait 5-10 mins after shutting it off before I drain the oil, that way there isn't a lot left in the top end of the engine.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Yeah it's splitting hairs if the engine has been maintained regularly.
If the history is shady or its a known neglected truck I could understand some people trying to flush out every last drop.