Only have third brake light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Replaced a burnout turn signal and the lamp out came back on. I just played it off as a bad circuit board. Followed my girlfriend home tonight and thought I was going nuts.
Brake lights - YouTube
I don't have the slightest idea why both sides arent working but the third does.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Bad copper connectors? Those are known to rust out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Stangshcky12

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Bad copper connectors? Those are known to rust out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would that be in the white housing that actually holds the bulb? I have heard of those going bad/breaking but didn't think it would cause both sides to go out.
But I have no idea what I'm talking about. I hate electricity.

greatwhite57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Check the connection where it plugs into the wiring harness. Mine connection was dirty and kinda rusty so sprayed that crc electric contact cleaner on it and they worked. They would randomly quit working and my one reverse light wouldn't work. Drove me nuts till I cleaned the contacts

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i agree...it doesn't hurt to take them both out and check them. When those boards start to go, the plastic will melt around where the bulb plugs in

OP
OP
Stangshcky12

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Check the connection where it plugs into the wiring harness. Mine connection was dirty and kinda rusty so sprayed that crc electric contact cleaner on it and they worked. They would randomly quit working and my one reverse light wouldn't work. Drove me nuts till I cleaned the contacts

Actually the one reverse light goes out and will come back on when you hit it. I'll give it try when I get some time off

OP
OP
Stangshcky12

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Well I feel stupid. Just assumed it was electrical before looking into it because both were out at the same time. Finally had time to dig into it today, pulled the lights, checked the sockets with a test light and both had power. Turns out both bulbs burn out at the same time right after I replaced a turn signal and reverse bulb. Who would have thought. I guess that's what I get for assumming...

OP
OP
Stangshcky12

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
That was your truck telling you LED's make GREAT stocking stuffers.

Definitly glad it wasn't the FCM or TIPM! Just feel stupid lol
Funny thing is I have been Watchin eBay and craiglist for a few weeks now for LED tails. Those will probably be her Christmas prearranged t along with a set of black headlights.
I like the stock tails alot more then most of the LEDs though. Wosh they weren't broken so I could tint them!