Opinions on a used truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudding2

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/a
Engine
Cummins
So I haven't had my own truck before but I'm fi ally getting near the 3500$ mark in savings and am looking for a ram. The third gen is probably my favorite looking so I'm interested in those but where I live they're rare. I found one on Craigslist the other day a 2004 4.7 v8 with a 5 speed and it was posted for 2 grand. The issue is it has a lot of problems. The thing has 227xxx miles and needs redone brakes, new tires, it burns oil, has a power steering rack leak, has a grounding issue with the rear tail lights, shifts hard so needs clutch work, and has a small crack in the windshield. It's a beautiful truck and I really want to try and fix it up but I'm just not sure if it's worth the trouble of all the trips to the shop I'd make for it. So I guess I just wanna know if the third gen ram would be worth all that trouble when I could get a second gen with less problems for less money even if I know the third gen is what I want. I know it's mostly opinion but I guess I want other people's thoughts. Here's the ad if you want a closer look : https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/d/2004-dodge-ramspeed/6313312643.html

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would try to find a hemi. You might find one in your price range

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Try to save some more loot bud or go for the 2nd generation cause if you buy that third gen, you'll be spending a **** load of money in repairs, these 3 gens have terrible electrical problems and the 4.7 is a pos dog, save your money, get a old 12/24 valve or a gasser 5.9, they seem to last the longest and don't have a **** ton of computers to control everything, I've replaced over a dozen sensors on my pos and that's only a quarter of them so take my advice dude, don't buy a 3 gen 4.7. You've been warned and good luck man.

Last edited:

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
If you really want that truck make sure you bring a good mechanic with a scanner cause the grounding problem with the tail lights is probably the pcm or tipcm or both, that's exactly how my issues started and those modules aren't cheap.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't listen to SYKRAM he literally spams every single one of these posts with omg they're electrical nightmare pieces of crap lol, he bought one with electrical issues and guess what.... It's got electrical issues, go figure right lol.
That being said I would not buy that particular truck especially since you said taking it to a shop, if a shop is doing the work for the $ that'll all cost you can get into a better one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Don't listen to SYKRAM he literally spams every single one of these posts with omg they're electrical nightmare pieces of crap lol, he bought one with electrical issues and guess what.... It's got electrical issues, go figure right lol.
That being said I would not buy that particular truck especially since you said taking it to a shop, if a shop is doing the work for the $ that'll all cost you can get into a better one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Lol, yeah every single one mr.rampot. I only chime in when a fellow member has similar or exactly the same problems as I had and tell them what I went through and what research I've found on hundreds(and that's just what I've found, I'm sure there's more out there) of these older trucks so they don't get discouraged and frustrated like I did while I fixed the issues that are no longer there because I did the research and read everybody else's problems. Now I have a great running truck, still a dog but I brought reliability back to my old girl. So don't say don't listen to this guy or he's just a troller, it's my personal experience and opinions that I'm entitled to write so suck it dude!!!

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol, yeah every single one mr.rampot. I only chime in when a fellow member has similar or exactly the same problems as I had and tell them what I went through and what research I've found on hundreds(and that's just what I've found, I'm sure there's more out there) of these older trucks so they don't get discouraged and frustrated like I did while I fixed the issues that are no longer there because I did the research and read everybody else's problems. Now I have a great running truck, still a dog but I brought reliability back to my old girl. So don't say don't listen to this guy or he's just a troller, it's my personal experience and opinions that I'm entitled to write so suck it dude!!!

:lol:

OP
OP
M

Mudding2

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/a
Engine
Cummins
Thank you all for your replies. I guess I just needed to hear it from someone else to be honest haha oh well, guess I'll keep looking. Thank you though :)

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Sorry for jacking you're thread bud, just be carful and bring a mechanic with you for any vehicle purchases if your not comfortable checking it out. Good luck man and sorry again for the childish interruption.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah just keep looking man, youll find a better one for sure. i actually like the 2nd gens with the mags. but thats just personal opinion. this is my second 3rd gen with the 5.7 hemi (04 & 07) and definitely love them both. good luck man

Immortaldaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Gonna say make sure you bring a mechanic when buying anything. If you have doubts walker away because once you sign on the dotted line dealerships are gonna jerk you around all day

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk