Parking brake problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
So I changed out my parking brake pads on my 02 1500 and it's still not holding in drive and my pedal goes all the way to the floor. Is this normal? Also I tried adjusting the cable and I'm pretty sure it's as tight as it could get. Any suggestions to tighten it up some more to get it to hold in drive will help. Oh also so I don't have to make another thread my truck sitting in idle, the rpms are moving alot. Don't they need to verify steady and sit still or not jump up and down 500 every second?

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you try turning the adjuster to get the pads closer to the rotor surface? That would be the first thing I looked at. It's the same as setting up old drum brakes. Turn the star wheel until it stops you from turning the rotor and then back it off a couple clicks.

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Did you try turning the adjuster to get the pads closer to the rotor surface? That would be the first thing I looked at. It's the same as setting up old drum brakes. Turn the star wheel until it stops you from turning the rotor and then back it off a couple clicks.

We adjusted it to where we it was giving resistance to the rotor when we put it on and off and it's still not holding, but is it normal for the park brake pedal to hit the Floor?

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine doesn't go anywhere near the floor. Check the actuators to make sure that they are actually moving. They're known to rust up and keep the brakes from engaging.

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Mine doesn't go anywhere near the floor. Check the actuators to make sure that they are actually moving. They're known to rust up and keep the brakes from engaging.
They move and everything functionseems properly, it's more like the cable is long. And the pads expand too

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check your cables under the truck. Look for loose one. Should be an adjuster for them.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk