Pinion bearing or axle shaft bearing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 QC 5spd
Engine
4.7L
So I notice on my way into work today that at about 15mph there is a deep growling sound coming from the back of the truck. At first I thought it was the brakes. So I tried coasting with the truck in neutral and the clutch pushed in....Same noise. How can I diagnose this? and how hard is the repair?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Pinion bearing will change sounds under load and coasting. Wheel bearing will often change sound with going side to side.

OP
OP
Bigboytoys

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 QC 5spd
Engine
4.7L
No...now that you mention it...It is definitely coming from the rear though, and happens at 15mph. Inside the truck it almost sounds like a jake brake going off...once it drops to 10 mph it stops...

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
Put the rear on jack stands and have some one run it up to speed. If it's coming from the rear then have it looked at by a shop. Rear end work takes special tools and is a pain in the ass

OP
OP
Bigboytoys

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 QC 5spd
Engine
4.7L
So I noticed on the way into work that I only hear it on deceleration, or when at constant 15 mph. Acceleration, it is not audible. I also noticed that there is a slight vibration up and down, like something is out of round. We will be putting it on a lift on Saturday. Hopefully, the wife's cousin and uncle can figure it out...Of course the wife's cousin is a Master Ford Mechanic....So who knows....

Last edited:

WalterG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When the pinion bearing in my truck was bad, it would make noise, steadily increasing as speed increased, all the time. Not just at one speed.

This is what it looked like when we got it apart.

iSlacker816 is right, take it to a shop if you think that is the problem, differentials are a pain to work on, especially pinion and carrier bearings. Aligning the gears so they mesh properly can be a bear.

Attachments

• 2014-01-27 10.37.34.jpg
    2014-01-27 10.37.34.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 161
OP
OP
Bigboytoys

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 QC 5spd
Engine
4.7L
I have a set of 3.92s sitting in the garage too...Might as well throw them in if they have to go in the diff anyways.

OP
OP
Bigboytoys

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 QC 5spd
Engine
4.7L
So just got done putting it on a lift...rear right axle bearing is shot....

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
So just got done putting it on a lift...rear right axle bearing is shot....

Have the deer exorcised from your truck. Sounds like when it cursed you it did a good job.

Glad you found the problem and hope it all gets put back together fast for you.

:)

OP
OP
Bigboytoys

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 QC 5spd
Engine
4.7L
So, new axle bearings are in! Inspected the ones we took out, and did not see any indication there was anything wrong. The wheel on the rear right had a lot of play in it. While we were in the diff, took a look to see if any wear or nicks. Looks almost brand new! Very little shavings on the magnet, especially for having over 100k on it, and the fluid, probably has never been changed. At least there are new bearings and seals on the rear. Checked for play in the right rear after swapping out the bearings, and none. Intresting that no visual damage to the bearing we took out (no pits or anything) but would cause the axle to have a ton of slack in it..

OP
OP
Bigboytoys

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 QC 5spd
Engine
4.7L
Ok...vibration is back worse than ever....No pinion bearing slack or U-joint slack in the drive shaft. Vibration is at any speed now, and there is squeaking coming from the rear, like metal on metal. Could the vibration be due to warped rotors in the rear? Even without applying the brake?

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Have your tires checked. I can almost bet one of them is out of balance or worse has a bulge in it causing the vibration. My Moms old Ford developed a bad vibration from the rear and it was a bulge in the tire that caused it.

OP
OP
Bigboytoys

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 QC 5spd
Engine
4.7L
Inspected the tires...no bulges...Will have the balance checked though...all weights that were on it before are still there.

Hilsy187

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Advise needed! I have a 98 Ram 1500 4x4, 5.5 inch lift. I have been noticing a hum which sounds like it is coming from the rear. I am jacked it up to check wheel/ axel bearings. I first jacked up both rear wheels and rocked each wheel but no wobble like I would think if it was a wheel bearin but when I pull and push straight out and in I hear a little clunk. It does it on both sides. It also does it when one tire is up and the other is on the ground. Is this a wheel bearing or something in my rear diff? Any advise please?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn