Possible New Owner-Hoping to be Convinced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stilambo07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, I have been creeping this forum for a while. I have also been wanting a Ram 1500 for the past couple months. I have been back and forth with the decision. I was a prior owner of an 07 Trailblazer SS and I absolutely loved it. I MISS IT. What I don't miss are the obvious,,,,mpg and filling up a 22gallon tank with premium fuel. Long story short I ended up buying a 2014 Subaru forester to satisfy the fuel cost....mistake. Im bored out of my mind (I also own a 500whp STI) and have been considering a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport or any ram for that matter as long as it has 4wd. I have also considered going back to the Trailblazer SS. I know it is kind of like comparing apples to oranges. I would not use the ram for towing, simply hauling musical equipment. I am a musician by trade and travel a lot in the summer.

I am assuming the ram is just as bad if not worse than the SS for gas mileage...am I wrong? I need power, I need space (musician). I drive a lot 4 days out of the week with the band so will be at the gas station quite a lot. Just hoping some can chime in regarding the purchase and get me convinced to go with this truck since I have always loved it.

I look forward to your opinions.

Thanks in advance!

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Ok here are a couple things that you should know before taking the plunge:

Depending on the motor you get: the 4.7l magnum, or the Hemi your towing might falter. The Hemi is much better with towing duties, while the 4.7l has a bit better gas mileage.
Do you plan on modifying the motor any?? If so forget the 4.7l and get a hemi. Many more options for the Hemi.
How much do you plan on spending for the truck. Prices vary wildly so look for Kelly's blue book in a book store or online and use those numbers as a start to determine the price you are willing to pay.
Have ANY truck you are serious about checked out by a mechanic. Do not trust the previous owner nor the dealership if buying from a used carlot. If they will not let you have the truck checked out WALK AWAY.
Get a carfax for the truck t be sure it has not had any accidents or if it has had any. And have the repairs checked out.

I will let some others chime in here as some others will have more to add that I may have missed

Rams are some great trucks and if taken care of will last a long time.

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm averaging 12mpg right now.

In the summer I get about 16 avg. However, on highway trips, I get 18+

Conversely, I also have a 2002 Explorer with a 4.0 automatic.
I avg about 18mpg and 20/21 on the highway miles.
And it's boring as watching paint dry to drive.

But I only have 98K Miles on my RAM ('06, 4x4, 5.7L HEMI, Quad Cab) and I need it to tow my camper. So I try to take care of it.

Man, this is a decision only you can make.

And you should know what the answer gonna be if you come to a DODGE RAM forum and ask this kinda question :D

Love my RAM. But economics force me to be bored at times by driving the Exploder.

OP
OP
S

stilambo07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the response MegaMouse. To answer your questions:

-I am ONLY looking at the 5.7l Hemi. Even though I wont do much towing, when I do, it will be attaching a uhaul trailer for some extra gear. I also do plan on modifying as I go. I do with every car!!!

-My max budget is $20k.

-I am pretty good mechanically with a car and do a lot of things myself, however, I will be bringing my mechanic with me when it is time to pull the trigger. I know these are prone to rust on the frame....

-Carfax is a must as well.

Thanks again!

OP
OP
S

stilambo07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wulfgang. Yes, I understand I am going to get all pro for the ram in this forum. Just trying to more so feel it out more so and gain some more insight. How many gallons is the gas tank..26? And regular 87 octane can be used correct?

I hear ya on the explorer. I did an impulse buy and got the 14 Forester 2.5i. Gets about an avg of 24mpg city and hwy combined but god is it boring. My STI gets about 17avg mpg so I know what I am in for.

These trucks can break 20mpg on the highway it looks like???

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
If you're looking for lots of interior space check out a Megacab. I don't feel the need for a topper or tonneau cover most of the time because there is so much room in back. The 5.7L Hemi is great for towing too. Go for the Ram!

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The size of the gas tank depends upon the trim level. My 2007 originally had a 4.7l in it which scattered not long after I bought the truck. Had the dealership stuff the V10 in seeing as neither the 4.7l nor any Hemi's were available but they did have the V10 pullout motor. Lucky me. Mine has the 26 gallon tank, but I have seen some with 30 gallon tanks, and others with dual 26 gallon tanks. You can install a larger tank in any truck if you have the space and can find one.

OP
OP
S

stilambo07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So with the 26 gallon tank, how many miles do you generally get to a tank 400approx sound right? And, is there a better year to look at? My minimum year (based on financing) is a 2007 but looks like depending on the mileage I can go up to 2010.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Even though you don't tow much, as a musician you will probably make good use of the bed (get a locking cover for your instruments), and enjoy the versatility of a "go anywhere, do anything and look good doing it" kinda vehicle!

An SUV has it's limitations with what you can haul. I like to be able to buy a new fridge and take it home myself, same day!

If you are planning on doing performance mods, then the Hemi has tons of options. I have never had a vehicle that has been this much fun to modify as my Ram, and it has become a favorite hobby for me!

Last but not least, rumor has it that hot chicks like musicians with Ram trucks!!! Lol!

That's my sales pitch, bro!

OP
OP
S

stilambo07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
David..exactly the reason I wanted a Ram. I am sick of messing up the interior of suvs with throwing in equipment to the back (sometimes intoxicated) causing scuffs and tint scrapes...ughhh. The locking cover would be perfect, just worried that they will cost a pretty penny. The ones I am looking at have the rubber tarp tonneau looking top to the back of the bed. I actually have not considered a ram without any sort of tonneau cover but maybe I should??? I don't know the prices used or new

I have been modifying cars since I was 21, and sometimes go a little overboard. I never owned a truck so really looking forward to ownership. I am liking this ram idea. LOL.

And as for the chicks digging musicians comment, that could be bad, already got divorced a few years back because of the chick problem HA

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm a musician too, and love my Ram. The newer ones are probably more economical on fuel, but I can get way more than 400 miles out of a tank on highway trips. Plenty of room for gear, even with my shortbed. I haven't solved the locking bed cover yet, but with the nice weather coming, I will soon.

Only downside is that it is a big vehicle and parking near the gig may be a challenge in urban areas.

On the plus side, the big back seat is comfortable to sleep on when needed. :)

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
David..exactly the reason I wanted a Ram. I am sick of messing up the interior of suvs with throwing in equipment to the back (sometimes intoxicated) causing scuffs and tint scrapes...ughhh. The locking cover would be perfect, just worried that they will cost a pretty penny. The ones I am looking at have the rubber tarp tonneau looking top to the back of the bed. I actually have not considered a ram without any sort of tonneau cover but maybe I should??? I don't know the prices used or new

I have been modifying cars since I was 21, and sometimes go a little overboard. I never owned a truck so really looking forward to ownership. I am liking this ram idea. LOL.

And as for the chicks digging musicians comment, that could be bad, already got divorced a few years back because of the chick problem HA

Yes sir! Just throw everything in the bed, and if you are to drunk take a nap in it! :)
BTW, I have seen good looking covers for around $300. Add it later?.

I had a Porsche prior to the Ram, and thought I would be a little bord with the performance of the truck. But stock it was fun to drive, and every mod is making it more fun!

You have the added benefit of doing some of the mechanical work yourself to save money, and take pride in our own work.

As far as the chick thing, I didn't say you have to sleep with all of them! Lol! A few more looks, winks and waves can feel good regardless of our marital status!
:Get him!:

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
These trucks can break 20mpg on the highway it looks like???

On a 4th gen with he 6 speed tranny MAYBE. With the 8 speed, all highway, at 55... Possible. Don't buy it for the mpg's. You're talking third gen though... Depends on the rear end but don't count on averaging more than 15 mpg.

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
So with the 26 gallon tank, how many miles do you generally get to a tank 400approx sound right? And, is there a better year to look at? My minimum year (based on financing) is a 2007 but looks like depending on the mileage I can go up to 2010.

With a v10?! Hahahaha I'm not gonna read further before posting but if he says 400 consider it an April fools.

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel

Third post in a row... a spray in bed liner will be nice for you to hold gear in place (along with bungees). I would recommend a hard tonneau so it is more secure of you leave gear in it.... But it sounds like a cap (ughhhhj, but if you need it for function you need it!) would be much easier with blacked out or tinted windows.

OP
OP
S

stilambo07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes locking cover is what im shooting for. Cap would be perfect....but not so sold on their looks!

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Shoot if I drive concretively I have gotten 325 miles out of a tank. But I normally average 275 to 300, only if I do not let my lead foot take control. My Daughter still has the 4.7l in her truck which is a 2007 crew cab 1500 2wd. It used to be mine. It normally gets 365+ miles to a tank. Not sure what the wifes truck gets now (had to replace her motor a 4.7l also with a hemi recently) so I cannot give you mpg for the hemi. Like others have said though the gearing in the tranny and the rear end will effect gas mileage. My daughters truck has the getrag 6 speed manual tranny and 3.21 rear end gears. Great for gas mileage, not so great for towing. All the trucks in my family have fiberglass t lids installed. Wife wants a camper top, but she does not like the price of them.

Last edited:

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Get a Hemi, get 3.92s, mod the hell out of it, be happy.

That is my advice. :D

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey man. I was on the fence about getting a ram. I had an old 1995 before I joined the service, and I've missed it every day. I picked up my '06 1500 this past Saturday. Holy crap do I love it. I drove 100+ miles on interstate home from where I bought it. Doing 71+, I averaged 19.3. I've been getting roughly 16.4 around town (I live in Augusta Ga....) and that's with me driving like an @ss hole haha! All in all, check out what you find thoroughly, but I recommend getting one for sure! You said they're prone to rust, where are you from? I lived in Michigan and originally my old Ram was two tone... Black on Rust. Down here in Augusta though, my new Ram has a bit of surface rust where the bed liner has wore off and that is it!
Good luck buddy, hope you enjoy what you choose to do!

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My build sheet says I have a 34 gallon tank.

I HAVE been running 87oct in it up till now with NO problems, no pre-ig knock, AC running in the summer, etc.

I'm trying to run my last bit of 87 out so I can run 91 and use the Diablo Tuner 91oct perf tune.

The Computer in the truck says about 60mi. left till MT. And the trip counter is at 410mi. since last reset.
It also says, atm, 12.something MPG.

However, I do try to take it easy on the truck and rarely drive 70mph.
Usually I'm at 65mph.

I've had many cars/trucks.
I've had Camaro & Mustangs.
My last truck was a 2001 Silverado with the 5.3L 2wd. I bought it in 2004 and, back then, I loved that truck.
But I gotta say, my RAM is the apple of my eye. I love the look of it and the performance of it.

Again, it's a decision you're gonna have to make. If you're leaning toward a RAM and come here for validation, well... you done got it :)

*ETA*
Regarding "mpg", we are just coming out of a hard winter in the NE and it's nothing for me to let my engine idle for 30min every morning.

I bet if I cut back on my idle time I'd get some really impressive mpg.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye