Power steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jethro 03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wasn't sure which section too out this in, but here is my latest disaster.

Picked up an 08 ram quad cab big horn 5.7 4wd about 5 days ago. Everything running great, no problems, until today. I'm on my way home from my gf's work when the power steering kinda stops working out of the blue. It didn't stop all together, but definitely wasn't working like it's supposed to. No whining, clicking, clunking, nothing. But the wheel feels like turning your heater fan knob. Like it's going through notches. I don't know how else to explain it. It still drives straight with no Ill effects out noises, other than turning harder than it was, and the feeling of having notches. And it doesn't return to center like it was and should.

The fluid is fine and I can't see any noticeable leaks.

Any ideas? I really don't have the cash for a major problem after forking out the cash for the truck.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jethro 03

jethro 03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So,I sprayed the joints on the steering shaft (I think that's what it's called) with wd40. They look like u joints. Sorry,I don't know the terminology.

Anyway, after spraying them, then turning lock to lock, then spraying again, it feels a whole lot better. I don't think it's 100%, but far far better.

So is this something that needs to be replaced or is there some special grease I can use that will keep them greased?

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

Rockynymia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It's prob your rack crawl under the truck and visually inspect for leaks and what not but it's gonna be internal have someone turn lock to lock while your under locking and listen for any sounds or unusual movement of the rack