Power Steering 911

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi5speed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have to drop the truck off at a shop overnight for my lift to go on tomorrow. Figured I'd throw a power steering pump on today cause it'd be way cheaper to do it myself. Pump is on but I can't reinstall my high pressure fitting because it wants to go in on a slight angle, thus the threads won't catch. Tried to take the high pressure hose off the gearbox so I have some wiggle room but it requires a metric size I dont have. Anyone know what size? Truck is an 05 2500 hemi.
As a last resort would it be possible to drive with some fluid in the pump but the high pressure fitting just plugged with the plastic plug a new pump comes with? My suspicion is id burn the pump up rather quickly. Really wanna get it to the shop. I'd hate to have to make another service appointment it's close to a month wait

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Measure it to determine what you have. Can't be that many. 15, 16 17, 18 to choose from. IMO, you need to get it together and not jury rigged to go to the shop. Good luck..

OP
OP
Hemi5speed

Hemi5speed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Its really strange the new pump was outta wack with my line. I would have thought a reman pump would use the oem casing but apparently not. Got everything to line up it just took 2 sets of hands and some tugging.
I'm still confused why this easy job turned into a headache but it's all done. Don't think I'll be buying from autozone again if I can avoid it

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Its really strange the new pump was outta wack with my line. I would have thought a reman pump would use the oem casing but apparently not. Got everything to line up it just took 2 sets of hands and some tugging.
I'm still confused why this easy job turned into a headache but it's all done. Don't think I'll be buying from autozone again if I can avoid it

Always get you lines or hoses started on their connections before mounting the pump and make sure all bolts are started before tightening everything up.

OP
OP
Hemi5speed

Hemi5speed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's what I ended up needing to do. Didn't exactly fix it cause then the solid high pressure line was an obstruction for putting the pump on. Got me started though

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
That's what I ended up needing to do. Didn't exactly fix it cause then the solid high pressure line was an obstruction for putting the pump on. Got me started though

36 years in the US Air Force taught me to always get everything, especially hoses, started before tightening everything up.:D

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Not sure but I think they used 2 different pumps in 05. I know the did in 07 because I had to replace mine. It was a massive pain in the tail. Ended up taking the one I got from AutoZone back and went to O'Rielly's to get the correct one (the one I got had the high pressure line coming out one side while my stock one was on the other side). O'Rielly's showed 2 pumps from 2 different manufacturers, and they thankfully had both in stock. Took a look at both of them and knew right away which one I needed.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Believe there are also more than one rack and pinion.

Last edited:

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would have been best to take the old pump to the parts counter with you for comparison. Who would know to do that tho…..