Purchasing first Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bluerider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Tundra
Engine
Hey everyone.

New to the forum and had a few questions from existing ram owners. I currently have a wrecked 2007 Toyota Tundra. Insurance is totaling it out and I need another truck.

I've done some research on here and online. I'm looking for a 05 or 06 1500 4x4. After looking online I'm torn. The current truck is an automatic. The two things I'm looking at is the 5.7 hemi has 345 horse but only comes in automatic. The 4.7 is 235 horse but 6 speed manual. I kind of want a manual but don't really want to sacrifice that much power. Is the gas mileage a really big difference between the two? If the 4.7 has a lot of power and lower gas mileage that might sway me. If the gas mileage is close to the same, 15 or so, then why lose that much power just for an automatic?

Just curious what the existing owners of the trucks think? I'm also not above doing some mods to beef up the 4.7 manual if it would make a difference and be worth it.

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMO, 4.7L is a waste of $

But, it's yours to waste. Not mine :)

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMO the smaller motors always have to work harder to get the truck moving and keep it moving down the road. The larger engine can work less, and have more available power when you need it. Neither is going to get great gas mileage anyway, so if you like shifting gears and don't pull anything, go with the manual 4.7 truck. If the price is roughly the same, IMO, 120hp is a lot to leave on the table though, but that's just my 2 cents.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
:welcome: :waytogo: For me it's HEMI all the way, otherwise I would probably not own a Dodge truck.

Last edited:

hemihank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will not regret the hemi. 4.7 can be modded to get some more power out of it, if you can get the 4.7 for a couple grand less then mod it up to the same hp as the hemi by spedning what you saved, it might be worth it if you really want the manual trans.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 black Crew Cab Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a 4.7 in my 02 dodge Dakota quad cab and it had enough power for that vehicle. When I was looking at the 013's I drove a (4.7 quad) and the
(hemi crew), the 4.7 felt like it was laboring when I drove it but the hemi had a lot more power. I decided to go with the hemi. Good luck with what you decide....

rackumrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI MDS
Dodge should only put a Hemi in their fullsize trucks. The 4.7 should only go in Dakota's. I'm getting old so I don't care about shifting gears anymore. Go HEMI!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk