Quick Transmission Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone know how much one of these transmissions weigh at full weight?

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
roughly 175lbs without a transfer case or tail piece.

it would be wise not to drop one on your fingers or toes. trust me.

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
roughly 175lbs without a transfer case or tail piece.

it would be wise not to drop one on your fingers or toes. trust me.

I just wanted a rough idea of what kind of weight I would be dealing with when I pull the trans. Didn't realize it was that light.

I will be sure to keep my fingers and toes clear. Already missing one toe nail from another incident :D

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Check around some rental stores and see about a trans jack. I know we rent em at my store all the time and it will help you in the twisting motion your gonna have to do for that plate.

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check around some rental stores and see about a trans jack. I know we rent em at my store all the time and it will help you in the twisting motion your gonna have to do for that plate.

I was thinking about welding up a bracket for my floor jack to hold the trans or buying a jack adapter. Haven't decided what route I am going to go yet.

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if there is a military base in your area, buy a service man a case of beer, and get him to be your sponsor to get into the base auto hobby shop. there you will have access to air tools, drive on lifts, tranny jacks, the whole 9 yards.

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if there is a military base in your area, buy a service man a case of beer, and get him to be your sponsor to get into the base auto hobby shop. there you will have access to air tools, drive on lifts, tranny jacks, the whole 9 yards.

My dad's buddy owns a garage with all that stuff. I might go over there if I think doing it on the ground seems like too much trouble. What I need to do is get a job teaching at the new VoTech school. That place has a sweet setup for automotive repair.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Don't do it on the ground unless you really hate yourself, to much **** has to be pulled to get to it on a 4x4 to warrent doing it on the ground. Plus alot of tight areas that need to be unbolted.... not something I would even consider doing on my back

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't do it on the ground unless you really hate yourself, to much **** has to be pulled to get to it on a 4x4 to warrent doing it on the ground. Plus alot of tight areas that need to be unbolted.... not something I would even consider doing on my back

I don't hate myself, but I still might give it a try. Just depends on if I can get time in the garage or not.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Might have to swing up that way if im off whatever weekend ya try it. I went the easy way putting mine in, I did mine when the motor was out lol.

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Might have to swing up that way if im off whatever weekend ya try it. I went the easy way putting mine in, I did mine when the motor was out lol.

Sure thing man, let me know when you are going to be in the area.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Just keep me in the loop, from time to time we go up the Lancaster but thats like once a year.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Better as a standing up job but it is doable in the driveway. Like john I was luckey and had the Auto-Club but like you I was gonna try it in the gravel driveway (where everything else was done). A large drip pan like the Army use is helpfull too. You will need lots of light under there so a good Neon that don't get hot is helpfull. John DIY is good and I got some good pics in my folder. I was luckey and did not have to remove the Torsion Bars/cross mount (removed T-case).

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Better as a standing up job but it is doable in the driveway. Like john I was luckey and had the Auto-Club but like you I was gonna try it in the gravel driveway (where everything else was done). A large drip pan like the Army use is helpfull too. You will need lots of light under there so a good Neon that don't get hot is helpfull. John DIY is good and I got some good pics in my folder. I was luckey and did not have to remove the Torsion Bars/cross mount (removed T-case).

Glad to hear that you can do it without having to pull off the t-bar/mount. Where can I find your pics?

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
I got a Pic folder (click on my name I guess) and its under TC install. I was able to get the front of the tranny to clear my exhaust crossover pipe (after loosening it of the headers), so it depends if your exhaust is in the way up front, then with the transfer case off the tail just cleared that t-bar/mount which if you have to take off is a PIA even with a service kit clamp/tool and prolly would have to re-level. If two gear heads are doining it you should be good for a 6-8 hour steady job. Any question let me know. the pics have a small narrative as well.

Last edited:

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
Feel free to ask me any questions you have also. I just went through it. I decided to pull the tranny/transfer case as a unit. Probably close to 300 lbs. I separated them to put it back up lol. I had to remove my exhaust, both drive shafts, the t-bar mount, and of course tranny support.

Lets just say if I didnt have a lift, i'd have killed myself. I recommend you go out of your way to do it on a lift if at all possible.

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will be sure to hit both you guys up for info when the time comes for install. It sounds like I am going to see if I can get some garage time bc there don't seem to be too many people who have done the swap that would do it on the ground.