Radiator coolant question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
So I get bored sometimes and look up random stuff. Do any of these ram 1500s use a "special" coolant like something specific? I hear that sometimes it really does matter what coolant you use cause then it causes corrosion or it won't properly cool the engine or some other stuff in that area. And I know they make coolant that's like an orangish color and then there's green. I just want to know of there is a certain type I should be using and if there is any real damage done to the engine from using wrong fluids. Thanks guys

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Zerex g-o5 coolant. Cheapest place I found was advance auto parts. It's a HOAT coolant, which is designed to be used with coolant systems with I believe, correct me if UN wrong, aluminum parts so they don't corrode.

Something like that.

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
I just want to know of there is a certain type I should be using and if there is any real damage done to the engine from using wrong fluids. Thanks guys
In your water pump thread, I mentioned I suspect universal anti-freeze for corroding a casting plug on my pump.

Ajwalk2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought the HOATS and OATS were in the 4th gens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
A few years ago after rebuilding my engine I couldn't find HOAT antifreeze and used Dex Cool instead. My 5 year old radiator developed a leak and now I believe my heater core is leaking as well.

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
I thought the HOATS and OATS were in the 4th gens

ZEREX™ G-05™ is the automaker approved original chemistry used in newer Ford & Daimler Chrysler automotive and diesel engines. Its Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT) chemistry combines the best of conventional and organic acid-based chemistry to provide the ultimate protection against rust and corrosion. ZEREX G-05 antifreeze/coolant uses the highest quality ****** ethylene glycol for freeze and boilover protection and a hybrid organic acid corrosion inhibitor package to protect your engines from liner pitting and corrosion.

Valvoline™ ZEREX™ G-05™ Antifreeze / Coolant : Product Catalog - Valvoline®

Just seeing "Daimler Chrysler" is a big clue it's for 3G, let alone the service spec in the manual.

Last edited:

Ajwalk2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Idk what you guys are smoking but I have elc in mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Zerex g-o5 coolant. Cheapest place I found was advance auto parts. It's a HOAT coolant, which is designed to be used with coolant systems with I believe, correct me if UN wrong, aluminum parts so they don't corrode.

Something like that.

HOAT is the orange coolant right? And if so I Googled a pdf file of the owners manual for my truck and it says only mopar 5year/100,000 mile formula HOAT is recommended for use. So does that mean I need the orange crap in my engine and I have been using the wrong stuff?

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Also what I found in the owners manual is that it says HOAT coolant (MS-9769) I noticed some antifreeze state that it meets these standards so as long as the antifreeze is a HOAT with standards of MS-9769 will it be okay?. By the way I have a 2002 ram 1500 with the 4.7l engine if that even makes a difference on coolant for the rest of the 3rd gens

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
Use any antifreeze that meets the standards.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
HOAT is the orange coolant right? And if so I Googled a pdf file of the owners manual for my truck and it says only mopar 5year/100,000 mile formula HOAT is recommended for use. So does that mean I need the orange crap in my engine and I have been using the wrong stuff?

yeah what i pulled out was orange and that's what I put back in.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I get bored sometimes and look up random stuff. Do any of these ram 1500s use a "special" coolant like something specific? I hear that sometimes it really does matter what coolant you use cause then it causes corrosion or it won't properly cool the engine or some other stuff in that area. And I know they make coolant that's like an orangish color and then there's green. I just want to know of there is a certain type I should be using and if there is any real damage done to the engine from using wrong fluids. Thanks guys
Do NOT mix OAT & HOAT Coolant !!! It forms a thick fungus that clogs every part of the coolant system.

Check out this thread , lots of good info there . Don't miss post #8 ...
Hope this helps !!

http://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/1666839

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

john p f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Use the correct fluid or totally flush it out and use the old green