Ram bouncing after installing new equipment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rackumrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI MDS
Need some input. I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd quad cab. I have had a bouncing in the rear area when driving above 40 mph. If I get around 55 mph it is terrible. I really feel it in the seat, as well as my passengers. I bought new tires and still have the bounce, replaced the shocks still have the bounce. I have aftermarket wheels but this started with the old set of tires and has continued with new ones. Could it be the brakes/rotors? Suggestions welcomed.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You say bounce and I think like someone jumping up and down on the tailgate, is that what you mean? Or is it a vibration? Does it happen all the time or when braking?

OP
OP
R

rackumrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI MDS
Exactly like someone bouncing on the tailgate

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Has to be something rotating. I had a vibration like going down a train track and it ended up being hard spots on "new" Dunlop tires. A factory defect on 3 of the four wheels. Could also be a bent drive shaft. I would have the wheels balance a dynamic balancer that can analyze the tire/wheel combination. Not ever shop has one. If that doesn't fix it then I'd put a floor jack under the differential and carefully spin it up and see what is shaking. But my guess is you'll find it in the tires.

OP
OP
R

rackumrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI MDS
Has to be something rotating. I had a vibration like going down a train track and it ended up being hard spots on "new" Dunlop tires. A factory defect on 3 of the four wheels. Could also be a bent drive shaft. I would have the wheels balance a dynamic balancer that can analyze the tire/wheel combination. Not ever shop has one. If that doesn't fix it then I'd put a floor jack under the differential and carefully spin it up and see what is shaking. But my guess is you'll find it in the tires.

I took it to a shop that did the dynamic balance and it has helped tremendously! I still have it at 60 mph and above but I don't travel roads that fast. Thanks for the input! I would love to get all of it out but I guess with aftermarket wheels you have to expect some play.

"Live for something rather than dying for nothing" General George S. Patton