Ram purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Impreziv1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 soon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, new to here, hope to be buying an early 2000's 1500 soon. Looking at one this week, wanted to know if I should be scared to buy an 04 Hemi with 131k on it. Can I expect any major repairs around this mileage? I realize every truck is different, but curious about common problems on higher mileage trucks. Thanks for any responses!

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
131k is the new 50k.
The truck will tell you how it is. If it appears well maintained you should be fine.
All the major truck brands have inherent issues. These are good trucks.
Check it out like you would any other used vehicle.

RamFLScott

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
keep in mind Hemis drive a higher price on the used market, disproportional to the Hemi option when new. Try to drive down the price on any flaws you find.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Ask for a carfax. It will tell if there has been anything major done. :welcome:

OP
OP
I

Impreziv1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 soon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys, going to look at it tomorrow. Already ran the carfax and it had a front end collision when it was a year old. No airbag deployment or structural damage was reported. No major service records, just minor stuff. I'm going to use the accident to get the price down, but a repair done that long ago I'm not too worried about and I'll be able to tell if it was a good repair. The dealer said they had the rust over the wheel wells repaired and they put flares on. We'll see what happens, I'll report my findings tomorrow, lol.

cd36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
See if you can look under the flares at all. Fixing rust and putting on flares screams to me a half ass patch job using the flares to cover it up. Flares are part of the problem with rusty wheel wells as well.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

OP
OP
I

Impreziv1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 soon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I plan on looking under the whole truck with a flashlight. I think the same thing anytime I see flares, "hey nice rust covers" lol. But on the plus side they are painted already, worst case they gotta come off to do a real repair, then right back on.

OP
OP
I

Impreziv1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 soon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I'm picking up the truck tomorrow. It definitely needs some work, but overall is pretty clean. I got the price down a bit, so as long as it makes it the 60 miles back home, I'll feel pretty good about the deal. I look foward to hanging around here as a Ram owner.