Ramy 1500 locks up and releases in opposite direction?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Colangelo405

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
About once every 2 weeks I'll start my truck and roll forward and within 10 feet I'll hear a loud 'thunk' and the truck will stop. If I give it some gas then it will move but with a whole lot of resistance. Turning the car off and on doesn't fix it. Putting it in park doesn't fix it. The only thing that does fix it is putting it in reverse then back in drive. After that it's fine for a good while. It never happens while driving. About a week ago the exact same thing happened to me while backing up. I put it in drive and back in reverse and theverything problem went away. I'm always in 2wd when it happens. The dealership has no answers for me and I'm starting to get frustrated. Any ideas on what it might be? Thank you!

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
it's your brakes

one possibilty
these new cheap rotors will actually rust overnight, the rust grabs the pads and they get bound up, go in the opposite direction will free them

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
it's your brakes

huh?

If it rolls 10' it can't be the brakes "rusted in place". OP, check your driveshafts for a completely shot U-Joint. Check your CV joints. Something is binding. You''ll likely find some rotating part loose and floppy.

OP
OP
C

Colangelo405

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you verymuch. I will definitely look into both solutions. The part I find so odd is that it happens in both directions and only upon first starting the truck. I've driven it over 500 miles with no problems but some mornings it just decides it wants to lock up.