Random BING and ABS/Brake Dash Lights Flash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DarrenDriven

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hey guys.

About two weeks ago my ABS and brake error lights on the dash started randomly flashing and a BING noise would sound. Sometimes it happens 5-10 times in a minute, and then other times it won't happen for an hour. Sometimes it happens a few times in very quick succession, other times it happens once so fast that I hear the BING but the lights never even light up.

I checked under the truck for any loose or abraded ABS wires... but couldn't find much. I have a 4" lift, so assumed that a wire was being stressed. I expected to find an ABS wire at each corner, but I only seemed to see one at the front driver's side wheel and at no others.

I checked brake fluid level and it was fine. (added 1/4", but didn't really need to)

I checked tire pressures and all were good.

This is really annoying. Every time the lights flash at me the cruise control gets cancelled... but the strange thing is that by the time I get on the freeway it rarely flashes at me. It seems to do it more when I first start the truck and when I am using the brakes in the city. Once I'm off the brakes and the truck has warmed up it rarely does it.

Any ideas?

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Any other lights? Sounds like an ignition short.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Or it sounds like a loose wire? Do you notice it more on rough road? Then not as much on smooth road?

OP
OP
D

DarrenDriven

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It seems like a loose wire... but I don't know where the wires are, haha. I am used to Japanese cars where there is an ABS sensor at each wheel, but there doesn't seem to be that on this truck. Anyone know where I might try to find loose or abraded wires?

OP
OP
D

DarrenDriven

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
OK, here is yet another clue that I am hoping will trigger a forehead slap.

Yesterday on the freeway I was driving along in silence without much random binging. Temp was about 80 degrees, I was going with the flow of traffic at about 60MPH. The ABS and BRAKE lights lit and I heard a bing, precisely at the same time that the speedo needle dipped from 60 to 45 for a split second, then jumped back to 60. It did this a couple more times, and then after that the ABS and BRAKE lights stayed lit. Since then the two lights have stayed lit and have not turned off. Speedometer has not acted strange since, either.

So I am wondering if the ABS system and the speed sensor are part of the same circuit? Anyone know where the speed sensor is located? There is a wire running to the front left wheel... and there seems to be a wire running to the rear diff. One of those?

2003MOPAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you check for any codes? When something freaky like this is going on you can't rely on a check engine light. Try the 3 cycle key method of getting any codes. Can't hurt.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Have you by change done anything to the PCM reguarding tire size? I have heard of the same errors before when a PCM is being rewritten for larger or smaller tires.

OP
OP
D

DarrenDriven

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Is the speed sensor tied in with the ABS system? That seems like a good place to start, but I don't want to just start replacing everything that might be the issue.

Where is the speed sensor located? Could just be a loose plug, frayed wire, etc.

I haven't done anything with the PCM. I bought the truck with the lift and the 35" tires on it and I have driven it for a year without any issues. This is definitely an issue of something breaking/failing and not just a confused PCM.

I tried searching Google for a 3 cycle method of finding the error codes on a 2007 Dodge Ram, but I came up empty. Did a more generic search and I am finding lots of stuff for pre-OBDII vehicles and some other really vague answers. Can someone point me to the correct procedure? I'll run out and try it right now if I can find out how to do it!

OP
OP
D

DarrenDriven

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Well, some more searching and I found instructions that say to cycle the key on and off three times... and some other instructions that are a little more specific, but are for owners with the 6.7L engine. I couldn't get it to work. I tried five times and my cluster never switched from displaying the mileage. Hmmm.

RETRIEVING TROUBLE CODES WHEN YOU GET A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON 6.7 DODGE/CUMMINS TRUCKS:

1.) Insert ignition key
2.) Move the key from LOCK TO OFF, THEN PAUSE,
3.) Move ignition key to ON/RUN
4.) Move ignition key BACK TO OFF
5.) Move ignition key to ON/RUN
6.) Move ignition key BACK TO OFF
7.) Move ignition key to ON/RUN and STOP THERE!

The THREE MOVEMENTS from OFF to ON/RUN should be done in LESS THAN
FIVE (5) SECONDS!!!

You then read the codes where the truck's odometer shows TOTAL MILES,
NOT TRIP MILES!!

(NOTE: FOR EXACT LOCATION OF KEY POSITIONS ON IGNITION REFER TO YOUR OWNERS MANUAL.)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

DarrenDriven

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Ugh, on top of this, I am searching for a replacement speed sensor on eBay and they are about $0. Not too expensive at all!

But there are a few different styles for sale... and all of them saw that they fit the 2007 Dodge Ram 5.7L. Damn you eBay! Anyone know how I can determine the correct part for my rig? (sigh)

draken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I was told by a dodge dealership to replace speed sensor and it should fix the problem. However when i had this same exact problem, i was late to getting around on ordering a new sensor and the problem went away. But it is located in the rear on top of the pumpkin i believe.

2003MOPAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ugh, on top of this, I am searching for a replacement speed sensor on eBay and they are about $0. Not too expensive at all!

But there are a few different styles for sale... and all of them saw that they fit the 2007 Dodge Ram 5.7L. Damn you eBay! Anyone know how I can determine the correct part for my rig? (sigh)

I think you are out of options on this. I hate to say it (sigh) but you need a dealership. Parts only though. Have them analyze the problem and put together a list of likely suspects. You can replace the parts yourself. Just replace one at a time though and see how it works out. Good luck.

nussdawg395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Check your wheel bearings. A faulty front wheel bearing assembly in the front will trip the ABS light. When that light starts flashing thats usually a pretty good indicator that your wheel bearing needs replaced. And being lifted and on 35's doesnt help the life of them.

OP
OP
D

DarrenDriven

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Check your wheel bearings. A faulty front wheel bearing assembly in the front will trip the ABS light. When that light starts flashing thats usually a pretty good indicator that your wheel bearing needs replaced. And being lifted and on 35's doesnt help the life of them.

That is a great idea, thank you! I will check those before I start replacing sensors. I was supposed to drop my truck off at a local independent Dodge repair shop yesterday, but I chickened out with fears of an outrageously high bill when I should be doing this myself.

So there are ABS sensors in each front wheel assembly? I looked for wires that would lead to them, but only found one wire on the driver's side and nothing on the passenger side.

I was told by a dodge dealership to replace speed sensor and it should fix the problem. However when i had this same exact problem, i was late to getting around on ordering a new sensor and the problem went away. But it is located in the rear on top of the pumpkin i believe.

I was hoping that this was a glitch and would go away, but it seems to be getting worse. Brakes still work great, no issues there, but I get a BING BING BING constantly while I am driving now. Then it stops for a couple minutes and comes back with a vengeance. So strange!

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Only on the awabs system. The standard system is only rear abs. If you pull the wheel, caliper, and disc off you will be able to tell for sure.

OP
OP
D

DarrenDriven

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
OK, that would explain it... and is the speed sensor shared with the rear ABS system?

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
The rear abs sensor is the same on both systems. On the rear above the pinion. Also if you pop the hood and look up by the fire wall on the drivers side you will see where all your brake lines come together. If you have a small area that is vertical then its rear only. If you have one that looks like a hard drive with a giant pump on the bottom you have all wheel.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddo