Rear pinion bearing went out....speedo doesn't work now??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IQRaceworks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the pinion bearing go out on the rear end of my Ram 1500 while on a road trip. I had to limp it home, and the rearend got really hot.....so hot that you couldn't touch it. Also, while limping it home the speedo went out and the ABS and CEL lights came on. I'm assuming that the heat cooked the sensor in the rear differential...and I just need to replace it??

OP
OP
I

IQRaceworks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's probably cheaper to buy a used rearend unless you're going to put in new bearings an race's an 3 seals.

Yep, you got it. I got a call from the shop this morning and the are saying that the ring and pinion gear are completely trashed.....but the bearings were all in good shape.

Is that common for the gears to crap out like that? The fluid was changed regularly, and there were no leaks.

The shop is charging me $2500 to put in a used rearend out of a dodge ram 1500 with 100,000 miles on it.

I'm stuck out of town and stranded with my family......so I don't have much choice. Sucks.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There was a pinion nut recall , not sure how far back that goes , dealers were changing for free .

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If he was driving an the nut came loose depending on how long an far he was traveling, the drive shaft would have snapped off an probably caused a big problem. Sucks that he has to pay that much. I'm going to rebuild mine because of the front pinion bearing, my rear end has a lot of travel an movement. Wich causes lots of stress on my u joints an my pinion angle is down to let the truck lay out.

Thundervee

Reaction score
Ram Year
98, 05
Engine
5.9 Gas 5.7 hemi
First of all, if the ring and pinion gear are trashed the bearings are no good either. The metal from the ring and pinion gear definitely got into the bearings. There is no way I would pay $2500 for a rear end with 100,000 miles on it to be installed. You are getting severely ripped off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk