Relay spliced into ignition wire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was doing some research in order to hook up a brake controller into my truck and when I popped my head under the dash, there was a relay installed in line with the yellow ignition wire in the steering column and I have known since I bought it that the clutch depress to start was disabled and found out how while I was under there, they just put a jumper in the wiring harness.

This was all done at the same time, it was easy to tell since the electrical tape that they used was marked with some writing.

The only thing that I can imagine from these 2 things is that at one time, my truck had remote start installed. Is there any other reason to have a relay installed in-line with the ignition trigger?

I'm just making sure that everything's OK before I start adding a bunch of wiring for a 7 pin trailer connection under there.

pajeepman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Does your have the harness under the dash already
Mine did but came with tow package. I do not know if they all have the wiring front to back just do not have plug in the back. I just installed a Prodigy yesterday and I could have done it in 15 minutes with the adapter harness including mounting the unit.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
First off, if it's wrapped in electrical tape be leery of the quality of the work and be aware that someday, you could have problems in that area. I think you're probably correct that the truck had an auto-start installed; that's the simplest solution to the wiring work you've seen.

Shouldn't have any impact on your trailer wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does your have the harness under the dash already
Mine did but came with tow package. I do not know if they all have the wiring front to back just do not have plug in the back. I just installed a Prodigy yesterday and I could have done it in 15 minutes with the adapter harness including mounting the unit.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

I have the factory harness for a 4 pin connector, I have to run a few extra wires for a 7 pin, but it doesn't seem like a big deal at all by looking at the instructions.

First off, if it's wrapped in electrical tape be leery of the quality of the work and be aware that someday, you could have problems in that area. I think you're probably correct that the truck had an auto-start installed; that's the simplest solution to the wiring work you've seen.

Shouldn't have any impact on your trailer wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the connections are crimped, there's just some electrical tape over the connectors and each one has a separate number on it, like they were using it to remember which connections were which.