Removing Front Sway Bar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have read that removing the front sway bar will give a smoother ride...? Is that true? Mine rides SO rough on these crappy roads in my town.

Would the rough ride have anything to do with the low profile tires and big rims? I remember right after I got my 22's, I found every groove in the road and felt every single bump. What do yall think about both?

tmerritt530

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
287 ci
removing the sway bar will smooth it out some, and Less sidewall does make it harsher.

You will lose stability in cornering and emergency maneuvers at speed will be more unstable.

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wouldn't remove the sway bar. Like said it will not corner as well and the front will feel loose. Do you still have the stock shocks?

OP
OP
HemiBabe

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Nah, I have the Belltech Performance Shocks for a 2/4.5 kit.
It just rides like a dump truck lol... so would the tires be the culprit? Or the 22s? Or both? hahahah

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L
If the tire aspect is 45 then yeah the tires may contribute to how its riding.

I have had my front sway bar off for over a year and it does take more stability during windy weather. I also have to tad off the pedal a little when entering a corner but i can exit the corner just fine.

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I got 22"s for my 05 I didn't notice any difference in ride quality with stock shocks. The tires were on the wheels when I got them and weren't anything special so I don't think it had anything to do with the tires. Depending on how many miles your truck has you probably need to rebuild the front suspension. Maybe try some different shocks too.

mikes04hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Did you replace those ball joints yet? :)

The lower profile tires will make it harsher to ride on. Agree with most here, leave the sway bar on. If you ever have an emergency situation, you want to be able to keep that ability.

rickof08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I had a broken swaybar bracket and just that one broken bracket made the ride loose on the highway.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
So it just rides rough and squeeks like Mario? is the front slapping the frame? are the shocks still good? Rule out the small things that are easy and cheaper to replace before you spend a good chunk of change on fixing the bigger items.

Rogan68

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins G56 DRW 4WD
I run no swaybars on my '01 2500 4x4; it's been swaybar-less for about a year. I also run 9000-series nitrogen shocks, as well as pull a 8500lb+ trailer.

I noticed a softer ride, but truck still feels planted, and I've noticed no ill-effects.

An easy way to 'try-before-you-buy', is to disconnect the end-links and tie it up out of the way, then take a short trip to see how she feels..

OP
OP
HemiBabe

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I would love a 4th gen, but don't need the payments right now.

Yep, it rides really rough and sounds like mario! hahaha I'm not sure if the front is hitting the frame, I wouldn't think it would since I used drop spindles instead of springs, but I guess it's worth a look.

I was also going to disconnect the sway bar and see if it IS those bushings making the noise or not. The truck rides fine on smooth roads, but not on these farm roads. What sucks is my bf's jacked up 3/4 ton 4x4 rides better than my truck!

I think it may be the tires/how wide and low profile they are.... I just might go back to 20s with a bigger sidewall

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
being lowered that much and 22's, I bet it does ride rough...buy squeaks drive me insane!

Rogan68

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins G56 DRW 4WD
low profile tires will definitely change the ride quality. I mean, even going from a 45 series to a 55 series will make a huge difference in ride quality, even if staying with the same width tire. I've done that in the past with other cars, and my truck. Going from a 395/75-16 to a 235/85, it got alot stiffer in daily driving.

In the shot below, you can that my tire size example, the sidewall height varies greatly between aspect ratios of the same width tire.

the outermost circle is the 55-series. the solid black portion is the 45.

Attachments

• sidewall.jpg
    sidewall.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 65

MoparSickness77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What all the guys said about the tires are true. You give up ride quality when you go to a bigger tire with a smaller sidewall. There is less absorbing from the tires then there would be with the bigger sidewalls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it's your suspension. The 285/45/22 on the R/T felt fine on streets and when offroading so doubt it's the wheels and tires

OP
OP
HemiBabe

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have 305/45/22s...

[ tapatalkin ]

Rogan68

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins G56 DRW 4WD
tire for tire, the 305/45 will ride a tad softer than the 285/45, given belt count is identical, etc.
The 305's sidewall is 1/2" taller than the 285s.

I'd still look at the suspension first.