rims vs salt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L, 345 ci MDS
so i plan on getting my ram a new pair of shoes, most likely gonna get the XD rockstars black, in a 18x9 with 35" nitro trail grapplers

i live in Ontario with snow and salt just wondering if anyone has some tips on trying to keep my rims from looking like chit in a few years
i plan on waxing my rims 2 or 3 times during the winter and do wash the truck about once a month, basically just to wash the salt off the underbelly.

this is my daily driver

for my cars i alway had winter/summer sets but that was just for convenience so i didn't have to get them mounted twice a year

i'm hoping the painted black rims will hold up better than the stock polished alum

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
please dont get the rockstars. ahhh im so sick of seeing that rim!! EVERYONE has them and they dont even look that great! sorry, my opinion.

Because of the alloy, salt wont affect them nearly as much as they would a chrome, aluminum, or steel wheel. Just make sure they get rinsed every so often. Maybe once a week clean em with some fukken wax.

OP
OP
Marx

Marx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L, 345 ci MDS
please dont get the rockstars. ahhh im so sick of seeing that rim!! EVERYONE has them and they dont even look that great! sorry, my opinion.

Because of the alloy, salt wont affect them nearly as much as they would a chrome, aluminum, or steel wheel. Just make sure they get rinsed every so often. Maybe once a week clean em with some fukken wax.

Cool good to know
I'm open for suggestions on rims i just like the reockstar beause they are a decent price and noone in my town has em

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i find that no one in my town has just about anything lol. there arent too many modded trucks in my town. the problem is, most modded trucks that like that style have that rim. if you look around, you'd be really surprised what rims you can find that also look amazing but dont cost an arm and a leg.

for instance. my rims. im the only Ram that i know of that has these wheels--period. how much were they? $120 each.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
And they do look Great AF!

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
lol thanks. the point was to not say how great my rims are (because thats an opinion just as much as saying how ugly the rockstars are) but rather to point out there are TONS of different rim options out there, many that look amazing, most for not an outrageous pricetag. i merely used mine as an example

Hemiguy0302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.2 Boss
It all comes down to maintenance. In the late fall right before the first snow I will wax every surface on the truck then use a wax sealant on the wheels. For the most part the wheels will stay clean depending on how cold it is but when it warms up or they use a ton of salt I will go out with a bucket and sponge to rinse off my wheels and some of my chrome or stainless. Depending on how dirty the truck is it will get washed and hand dried (do not forget to wipe your door sills so you will not have frozen doors) every week to 2 weeks. Really focus on the fender wells and inner bed sides. Sometimes if it is really sloppy I will wash every 3 days but will not bother with the hand dry as chances are it is pretty warm and the truck will be dirty soon anyways. This may sound like a lot of work but the results are worth it. After several tough winters my wheels are still 100% flawless as well as the res of my polished/plated metal.

cwboyjohnny24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I agree man. Around here they roll those rims like they are from the factory. Everyone here has them also. Now, like AF said this is just my opinion. Take a look at discount tire's website. They also have nice rims at a decent price. No need to pay for a name that's so common.

ike43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cool good to know
I'm open for suggestions on rims i just like the reockstar beause they are a decent price and noone in my town has em

a set of Mickey thompsons classic II, great looking rims and i bet no one has them in your area , pricey but worth it . im putting on a set of tires and rims in the early spring(mickeys), i'll post the pics then , as for the salt , the only real way to avoid corrosion 100% is to have a second set unfortunetly, plus make sure to use rust control on truck and rims, you can spray on rim(avoid rotors) let sit then wipe off, do this after every wash,

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
no to the rockstars ... be original .

OP
OP
Marx

Marx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L, 345 ci MDS
thanks for the tips guys

i do appreciated the comments and feel free to post up some other kinds of rims but....

i have looked and looked but the XD Rockstar is what i like (liked them before i knew alot of people had them). I am not one to follow trends or whats "hot" i buy what i like the look of. I think i'm gonna get some different center caps or leave them off. Also i live in a pretty small town (kingston ontario pop 117,000 plp) and not alot of people mod there trucks, afew guys with 8-10 inch lifts, alot of "rednecks" (including me lol) with loud pipes, but not alot of aftermarket rims and tires

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
hey if you like them thats all that counts bud

cheapbeater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
ahh... it makes me cringe when ppl say they are going to get rockstars!! i think theyre a cool looking wheel- not my favorite- but i got a helluva deal that i couldnt pass on, and i think they look great on my truck. every time someone gets rockstars, mine become less unique... when i first got mine i was the only truck in town with them- now theres at least 5 in town with them!... one is a black '05 ram.....

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if you like the rockstars, get them. dont let us make your decisions. you can always do something to them that would make them unique in both worlds (here and in real life)

LoadedLaramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i loved the rockstars. right up until the toyota dealership in town started offering them as an "Offroad package" on any new tundra.

Get what ya like on your truck. dont let others influence your own personal style. there are no two modded trucks the same so it cant be the same as any one elses.

as for salt. ive used that ice synthetic polish the last 4 years on my vehicles and it works GREAT! because its a oil based polish i just apply it and leave it on. i dont buff it and ive never had a salt issue.

ike43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
im from k-town also, let me know where your get the best deal from, auto addons arent too bad and can get what ever you want, plus firestone downtown has a huge selection

OP
OP
Marx

Marx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L, 345 ci MDS
going with kal tire on gardeners road (Nitro tire dealer) they have a great selection and i think Firestone is a bit over priced

and ya i'm gonna get them this thread was supposed to be about salt care not what rim i'm getting lol its all good tho lol

thanks guys

ike43 you better not get them too. :biggun:

OP
OP
Marx

Marx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L, 345 ci MDS
so i may be getting these insead of the rockstars lol found a rim and tire package with these and trail grapplers
there Machined/Gloss Black and 35x12.50 20's
and there on sale

Villain-F69-B4-(45).jpg

Trail%20Grappler%20Villain.jpg

Last edited: