rust protection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ive been using the chepo auto zone brand stuff, "ruberized undercoating". And not only does it dry brown and look worse, it only lasts about a month. Its getting to be that time again in the north east for road sand and salt and i wanted to put one or 2 coats of wax on the paint and sand and wire brush the under side for a good coating. Aresol can preferably, ANy suggestions

SafetyGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500 4X4
Engine
4.7L
Plasti-Kote and Duplicolor both make a decent product for this. They are both an aerosol bedliner material. make sure to follow the prep directions and application directions closely and they work fine.

I used the Plasti-Kote on my F250 work truck for 3 years in the oilfield and only had a couple chip marks to replace after 2 years

cheapbeater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
i cleaned mine all up and used VHT epoxy paint. it sticks great and looks great, plus it is not a thick rubber so it doesnt block drain holes or goop bolt heads

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
I used rubberized ****, can't remember what kind, but I have no browning issue's. 7.99 a can here. Ahhhhh the wonderful four season's..........:flipthebird:

metalwolf69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In the spring im thinking bout taking a sander to the underside of the truck and painting it. not sure yet. Plus i wanna fix the rust spots on the truck and get a fresh coat of black on her. not sure how much that is going to cost me.

OP
OP
badfish888

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
i was thinking of just using a high quality paint, i realy dont like the way the rubberized **** dries, dripps and runs.......looks like crap.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Chainsaw Oil heated up in the Wifes electric frypan so it will spray through your gun at about 50 PSI, then go drive down a dirt road for about 5 miles and your done. Did I just say that or am I still in New Brunswick.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
LMAO ^^^ but i bet it works

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Better Than Rust Check, Dave, that just washes off by February, but seriously I used to go to Wal-Mart as they have a drippless yellow type protectant, not pretty but it keeps her from rusting, kinda like a Zeibart which they also drill holes in the door/panels and wand spray in there too. So heres the deal, you get it done and then go back in a week and say they missed some spots around where the hoist posts were or if a ramp type/whatever they will make you happy and shoot all kinds of extra and there you go they make no money and you get lots.

I don't live in these regions anymore as I am Luckey living in the Banana Belt of Canada.
IMO and no offence, if you own a nice rig and plan to keep it forever and they salt the roads, park it for the winter and all the nice detailing you do will last and you won't rust. The problem with rubberized coating is the water gets underneath it can make it worse.

Anyone ever try the electrical charge anti-rust boxs that are on the market claiming to keep your veh rust free.

AParrette

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix
Engine
3.8L SUPERCHARGED
i use krylon bbq paint. you can spray it on everything. it's self leveling, can take temps up to 1300* and it sticks for a long as time w/ no prep

i also use duplicolor spray on bedliner.

but my tool box is the bbq paint, and it comes out a nice flat black, and is easy to spray off the dirt and grime w/ a water hose w/o the spray nozzle

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
I just did my front suspension , sand and paint .. i hate salt

AParrette

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix
Engine
3.8L SUPERCHARGED
me too the beach rusts the hell out of my air filters in under a year
least there is none of that white crap you guys whine about

SafetyGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500 4X4
Engine
4.7L
I love the snow!! its a blast i Hope we get 8" inches over night. I believe up here in ND we don't use salt so our vehicles don't have the regular rusting issues.