Selling the truck..but for how much?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Armyman14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
So I am looking to sell my truck soon on Craigslist and when I go to look at the KBB it says private part 6,277 after I enter in all my modifications and mileage and what not. But, I just had a rebuilt engine put in with new radiator and water pump that cost me about 3000 dollars 2 months ago. The new engine has maybe 2500 miles on it. How much more can I ask with the newer engine?

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not much.

A running engine is a requirement when buying a running vehicle. The fact that it recently cost you $3000 to replace is mostly irrelevant. The "new" engine does not add any real value, as a running engine is expected when buying a running vehicle.

Think of it this way - if the truck is worth $6,000 with a running engine - it may have been worth $3,000 without it. Now that you added the engine, you're back to $6,000.

You might could ask and get $500 more than an "old" engine - but I'd be very shocked if you got any more.

And to make matters worse - craigslist is full of 10+ year old vehicles with "new" engines. And I'm sure everyone is 100% legit as well. :roflsquared:

OP
OP
Armyman14

Armyman14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Hahah yeah that's what I was expecting. My wishful thinking was trying to block it out though ;)
I'm in no hurry to sell the truck right now though I'll probably just price it high and if I don't get any serious callers within a couple weeks I'll drop it down. So on and so forth haha