service recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just bought a used 02 ram 1500 4x4 QC that has 133K miles on it. I'd like to have a tune up just to make sure I'm starting off on the right foot with a used truck. Can somone recommend a service that I can have done and an approx cost? what is included in the service? ie Plugs, wires , fluids???

thanks

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
if you are going to pay somebody to do it the work it could be rather expensive. I'm assuming you don't have any records of what was done to the truck and when.
I would say have both differentials done
Trans service
oil change
plugs & wires
pcv valve
air filter
coolant flush
clean TB

You can save a lot of money by doing some of the work yourself.

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm capable of doing some of that myself with a good youtube video to watch first :) I would assume the plugs and wires wouldn't be that hard. oil change isn't hard, just hate getting rid of the oil afterward. The tranny service, probably not, pcv not sure about that one. coolant flush I'll have someone do and I wouldn't think cleaning the TB would be terribly hard but I'm not sure about that either. still curious what that would cost at a stealership and what the service is called if i were to call them and ask. thanks for the reply

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i'm pretty sure most dealers off a 60k service which most likely does everything i listed. I hope others chime in on suggested stuff. Anyway, i have heard of the service costing around $800 or more.

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got a tranny flush a few months ago and it cost around 200 if I remember correctly.

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
wow...$800? I'll be doing most of that myself then. I didn't think it would be quite that high. thanks for the info. I had my tranny fluid changed in my 05 cadillac sts for around $110 so I guess I'm not suprised to see $200 for the truck.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
yea isn't that price ridiculous? Now that was for the hemi, so i guess they would knock some off since the 4.7 only has 8 plugs

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, the hemi prolly is a little more expensive. I remember they quoted me over 900 for a full 30k service.....tranny, plugs, diffs, fuel system, power steering.

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
it's been a while since I've bought any spark plugs and wires so what do you think I'm looking at for cost on 8 plugs and wires? I'm guessing 5-6 quarts of oil so that must be about $60 ? Oil filter? Anyone done any shopping for these things lately? I'm thinking I can use this weekend to get the plugs,wires,oil done and maybe if the TB cleaning isn't too hard I can do that as well.

SMITHY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Dodge Ram Quad 4x4
Engine
4.7 Magnum
I would not flush the tranny out if you don't know if it has ever been done before.

With 133K not knowing what the tranny endured, you may be setting yourself up for a transmission failure.

When you do a complete exchange and if that fluid has never been changed before, you are removing clutch plate material too, which is helping that shift.

I was a manager for Certified Transmission, and we would have people sign a waiver if they were adamant about us changing.

Seen several come back with the tranmssion no longer shifting, certain gears.

Beware. That is all I can say.

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is good advise. i was worried about that when I had my Cadillac done as well, luckily I didn't have any issues. I guess I'll hold off on that simply because I don't want to take the chance of needing a new tranny. thanks for the heads up.

SMITHY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Dodge Ram Quad 4x4
Engine
4.7 Magnum
No problem man. Go to a Dodge dealer and give them your VIN# and they can give you the entire service history on the truck, if they did the work that is.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
No problem man. Go to a Dodge dealer and give them your VIN# and they can give you the entire service history on the truck, if they did the work that is.

that is the key sentence right there. The dealer is expensive i won't go to them unless i absolutely have to or for warranty work

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
I'm capable of doing some of that myself with a good youtube video to watch first :) I would assume the plugs and wires wouldn't be that hard. oil change isn't hard, just hate getting rid of the oil afterward. The tranny service, probably not, pcv not sure about that one. coolant flush I'll have someone do and I wouldn't think cleaning the TB would be terribly hard but I'm not sure about that either. still curious what that would cost at a stealership and what the service is called if i were to call them and ask. thanks for the reply
most shops get 85-95 an hour for labor. the least of your tune up is the pcv , thats a half hour with a pcm scan afterwards. plus parts. there goes a 75.00$ (too give you an idea)

i'm pretty sure most dealers off a 60k service which most likely does everything i listed. I hope others chime in on suggested stuff. Anyway, i have heard of the service costing around $800 or more.
Pumpkin oil is cheap to do your self. Plenty of diy here and on other forums on that. Oil changes are about 35.00 bucks if ya go totally synthetic. rp/mobil 1 .to name a few. ( I use mobil 1.) Amsoil is good too.
When tuneing or modding, Remember above all else, Ya get what ya pay for!!
Most manuals tell ya too change lubs every 3,oo0 miles. Thats not true with synthetics, If your not doing a lot of foot to the floor stuff 5,oook is the norm for oil changes. after the intial change.
spark plugs I use cheap champions, they seem too run the best.
flushes I leave to the shops. Thats big ticket money. So I save up for them.

Yeah, the hemi prolly is a little more expensive. I remember they quoted me over 900 for a full 30k service.....tranny, plugs, diffs, fuel system, power steering.
It is , the newer models have 16 plugs and it litteraly takes hours just for the plugs.
it's been a while since I've bought any spark plugs and wires so what do you think I'm looking at for cost on 8 plugs and wires? I'm guessing 5-6 quarts of oil so that must be about $60 ? Oil filter? Anyone done any shopping for these things lately? I'm thinking I can use this weekend to get the plugs,wires,oil done and maybe if the TB cleaning isn't too hard I can do that as well.
2 bucks a plug, 35 for oil and filter,The tb is four bolts disconnect the wiring harness. and clean the motor side of the tb plate. It will be gross. Full of carbon and oil cake. yummy. I use anything with mek in it just do not get the tb sensors wet or any of the electronics.
Your halfway too a tune up with $ left over for some fine nh pancakes with nh maple syrup!!!

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's some great information,thanks Rocket. If i don't have 2 feet of snow on the ground tomorrow I might start on some of that.

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Even in my big service manual for your year of truck it list oil changes every 6K miles on petroluem oil.

Then looking at the 2001 Dodge FSM it even listing 7.5K miles for a oil change.

But remember to change all fluids by 30K miles this includes - Brake fluid, coolant, power steering fluid, transmission, transfer case, etc.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Even in my big service manual for your year of truck it list oil changes every 6K miles on petroluem oil.

Then looking at the 2001 Dodge FSM it even listing 7.5K miles for a oil change.

But remember to change all fluids by 30K miles this includes - Brake fluid, coolant, power steering fluid, transmission, transfer case, etc.

I gotta get the tranny and case done, Never been touched and I'm over 60k.
Might be a spring time deal, less we get some $ coming in, ie football picks. lol./