Shifter won't come out of park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bunkmuffin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 PK-up and the shift lever has suddenly become stuck in park.
I drove the truck earlier this morning and there didn't seem to be anything wrong. however after parking it for about 5 minutes I went to drive it again and the shifter would not come out of park

I began diagnosing the problem.... I started the engine, all was good,
I put my foot on the brake to release the interlock but nothing happened and the shifter would not move.
I removed the plastic around the steering column a followed the sequence of events during the start proceedure.
When the key is turned in the ignition tumbler a stop is physically pulled back to allow the shift lever to move. Once the ignition is engaged and power is distributed through the switch, the interlock solenoid is powered and a pin is pushed through the interlock hole in the shifter cable. When one steps on the brake pedal the solenoid is supposed to be disegaged by cutting power to the solenoid and an internal spring withdraws the interconnect pin.
in my case nothing happens when I step on the brake pedal.
I disconnected the solenoid wire and the pin is withdrawn allowing me to shift the transmission out of park.

My question is: what is happening electrically when one steps on the brake pedal?
I also have a 3rd brake light that is also not working now. and I replaced the light bulb in the fixture but it also is not coming on when I step on the brake pedal however I have brake lights on the truck box...

My first diagnosis would be a bad brake switch but I replaced the switch less than a year ago.

I am wondering if there is a relay , module or some other device between the brake switch and the interlock solenoid that has failed.

Your more knowledgable thoughts would be appreciated....

I have concluded that since I have power to the solenoid it is not an electrical problem and the shift lever functions normally when the solenoid is not powered.

You have the full story with eveything I have done...

Thanks in advance.

Bunky

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like brake switch is bad again.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

MrFixIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
This sounds to me like the steering wheel has jammed against the brake lock pin. Even though the solenoid has activated the pin is jammed and the steering wheel needs to be turned either left or right to release the pin fully. Hope this helps.