Should I buy a Dodge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hafoster_07

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
So I am considering buying a Ram but I know very little about them. Looking to see if there are any common issues I should look out for. Or even if the one I am looking at is a bad or great year model. Any help would be great. The specs for the one I am looking at are below.

Quad Cab
5.7L Hemi
2wd
72,000 miles

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's a really solid year for the RAM, great engine that will last you over 200,000 plus miles if you take care of it. My 05 has had zero issues 0 repairs 0 check engine lights and is the best truck I've ever owned.

OP
OP
H

hafoster_07

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
That's a really solid year for the RAM, great engine that will last you over 200,000 plus miles if you take care of it. My 05 has had zero issues 0 repairs 0 check engine lights and is the best truck I've ever owned.

Hey thanks for the reply. Yeh I been reading as much as I can find on it. And correct me if I am wrong but from what I am readying it requires regular fluid and filter change on the tranny and the Hemi seem to get a tick at some point in there life.

Does the 2006 have the greaseless ball joints

oldskool83

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
bed wheel wells will have rust in them, rocker panels will also, seats rip but theres a fix with burlap. If you live in a salt belt state make sure you look unto the truck. Some if the fixes I mention will cost up to $3000 to fix correctly at a shop if you cant do any body work yourself.

besides that's...make sure its a 5.7 and you will need to change plugs every 30K miles which is a 2.5 to 3hr job.

korby05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hey thanks for the reply. Yeh I been reading as much as I can find on it. And correct me if I am wrong but from what I am readying it requires regular fluid and filter change on the tranny and the Hemi seem to get a tick at some point in there life.

Does the 2006 have the greaseless ball joints

Pretty much all trucks now have greaseless ball joints. I'm guessing you're refering to not being able to grease the front yourself. I have an 02 and you can't grease it if it has the factory parts

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I bought my '06 it had NO rust in the fender wells or anywhere else.

2 winters later? BAM!

Wheel well rust. Rear lower bed rust behind the rear wheel.

I've only put about 6K mi on it too and it's like that.

If you're not pressed for room, go with the '06.
If you have wife/kids, you may want to look into a 4th GEN Crew Cab for the extra interior space.

That's the ONLY thing I regret about buying my truck.

oldskool83

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
if you want to learn how to fix and prevent rust forever you need to contact me. I have worked at a body shope and know these trucks design flaws and how to fix them.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
You can access the trouble area between bed and exterior panel(tail light removal)
If you don't have rust yet, treat the area with an anti-rust product anyway. Eastwood makes some good hard-to-access sprayable/fogable products. Other than that these are damn good trucks.
When you get to the bottom of the complaints it's mostly due to beaten up trucks or lack of proper maintenance by former or current owners.

OP
OP
H

hafoster_07

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
awesome thanks for all the replies.

Korby05- I ask about the ball joints b/c I currently drive a 1996 Tahoe and I can grease every joint it has.

oldskool83- Curious about the burlap fix you speak of. Would love to know how to prevent the rust issues. Why does it need spark plugs so often? I changed the plugs in a 2008 so I know how much of a pain that is.

blk05hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7

I agree love my ram!

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
To prevent or retard the rust issue you need to remove your tail lights. Once this is done you will have a clear view of the area between the inner and outer panels over the wheel.
Most likely you will see some degree of rust in there. Use an air compressor or a garden hose to flush out any gunk or debris. Then apply a quality rust inhibitor product. Eastwood makes some cool stuff in spray cans that get into hard to reach areas. The sooner you address this the better.

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree love my ram!

You wanna love it more? :)

Drive an inferior vehicle (such as my DD, 2002 Ford Exploder AWD/4.0vSux) for say...

a week.

Then, get in your Dodge. If you don't smile pulling out of your drive with it I'll pay for lying!

:D

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You go on a Ram forum and ask if you should buy one..? That's like walking into a Starbucks and asking if you should buy a coffee! ;)

I loooooove my Ram! It's been the most fun I have had on 4 wheels, and I'm only just getting started!

Rock that Ram, bro!!! You got my vote.

(Sorry if you were looking for a more technical opinion. All I have to offer is enthusiasm)

Last edited:

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey man. The hemi needs plugs about every 30k cuz it runs best on coppers but they dont last as long. At least thats my understanding. Take it for a test drive. Make sure it goes straight by itself lol. Have a mechanic look it over if u can. Also carfax it if the seller has one for it. But I recommend it! I just bought me 06 single cab 4wd last month. Second ram ive had and I love(d) them both !!! Any more questions feel free to ask.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
And test all the hvac controls and settings thoroughly!

OP
OP
H

hafoster_07

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
You go on a Ram forum and ask if you should buy one..? That's like walking into a Starbucks and asking if you should buy a coffee! ;)

I loooooove my Ram! It's been the most fun I have had on 4 wheels, and I'm only just getting started!

Rock that Ram, bro!!! You got my vote.

(Sorry if you were looking for a more technical opinion. All I have to offer is enthusiasm)

I came here to ask because its always easy to find the things people hate about there trucks. I new that asking that here I would learn more about the truck plus all the things that make yall love them. Helps me to be better informed before making the purchase.

OP
OP
H

hafoster_07

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Hey man. The hemi needs plugs about every 30k cuz it runs best on coppers but they dont last as long. At least thats my understanding. Take it for a test drive. Make sure it goes straight by itself lol. Have a mechanic look it over if u can. Also carfax it if the seller has one for it. But I recommend it! I just bought me 06 single cab 4wd last month. Second ram ive had and I love(d) them both !!! Any more questions feel free to ask.

Ok that makes since I forgot that these prefer cooper. As for a test drive this truck belongs to a family member so I actually got to drive it for about a week awhile back. Family member drives big rig for a living and only put about 1500 miles on the truck last year.

xXAvroArrowXx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if you want to learn how to fix and prevent rust forever you need to contact me. I have worked at a body shope and know these trucks design flaws and how to fix them.

Post a new thread!!!!?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

hafoster_07

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Since I am new here and dont even own a RAM... I think one of yall should start a highest miles thread I was unable to find one with a search. We have one on my tahoe forum and its pretty impressive how long some of those vehicles stay on the road. Give yall one more way to brag on your trucks.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok that makes since I forgot that these prefer cooper. As for a test drive this truck belongs to a family member so I actually got to drive it for about a week awhile back. Family member drives big rig for a living and only put about 1500 miles on the truck last year.

Sounds like it should be fairly decent. As long as that was 1500 off road miles haha

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye