Slow to fill gas tank. Does this mean a new tank?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reelop19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2007 Ram 1500. Gas will only fill for a few seconds at a time. I've read that this is most likely a check valve problem that does some sort of venting?? Anyways, I've read that this is part of the tank and the whole tank needs replacing. Is this so, or is there a way around this? Are there any other possibilities to eliminate first? Is there a diy on dropping the tank also? I found one but it was for a cummins I think. Thanks

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I would be guessing the check valve on the tank is clogged up. Have you also tried pulling the fuel nozzle out of the filler neck just a bit when filling? I've had this problem occasionally on my rig, but it's usually when the truck is hot and it's hot outside.

OP
OP
R

reelop19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there a way to unclog it? And I've tried to fill the tank slowly, nozzle partially in, all the way out, upside down, sideways, etc. It ain't happening for me. So has anyone figured out a way to mess with the valve?

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I had this issue with mine a while back.

I'm not sure on your '07, but on mine I unhooked the vent tubes going to the tank and let it air out and re-hooked it up; haven't had a problem since. Just crawl under the truck and you should see them.

I heard it's not good to keep filling up after it clicks on full.
It will increase the pressure and fumes inside the tank causing it to think it's full

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reelop19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have already disconnected those to check for obstructions.