so i got my superchips tuner...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

v8only

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just had to give feedback..I have an 05 hemi 4x4 that i bought mainly for work last month. I get re imbursed .55 a mile and drive 40k a year ez. Im not new to these trucks but i was really curious to see if a tuner would increase my mpgs. I live in so cal....I was averaging below 10 on streets...a high of 16.5 highway and 11-12 average mpg which is right on spec for fueleconomy.gov. I uploaded the economy tune and instantly I was seeing 21 mpg hwy...wtf wow!! this is a non mds truck. I confirmed these results throughout the day.....mpg on highway increased 3-5 mpg. I drove out a tank of gas today.....and ended the day just over 14 average....which is a very solid 2-3 mpg gain. However this was with a TON of LA traffic which normally would have destroyed my averages.

anyhow Ill play with the performance part of it next time I get to the eighth mile...I did purchase the optional 40$ advanced trans tuning option and look forward to fixing the lousy downshifts these trucks have.

Worthy of noting I did experience slight ping while playing with the 87 tune...but my plugs could be old and truck is new to me. it also outright stalled on me at a signal today...but only once...ill be keeping an eye out for that.

So far im blown away by the results...ill update as the miles pile on
Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Welcome bud. Get the plugs checked and a TB cleaning does wonders if done right. How many miles are on the truck?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Great review. Superchips has been a tried and true winner for these trucks. Welcome to RamForum.

OP
OP
V

v8only

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
70k and i strongly suspect plugs are original

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Ta
63b318e0-0bd5-ec38.jpg
patalk 2

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Yeah give it a good once over, check the wires and coil boots also.

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pretty good results. And yeah I would do a full tune up on it just in case; fuel filter, plugs, oil change, maybe plug wires

OP
OP
V

v8only

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
picked up some synthetic oil today...i swear it has always felt like it surges off the line slightly...i know these things have 30k plug changes and ill bet the house at 74k they are original

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
05's love the SC tuner, it's hard to beat full Trans shift adjustability and Torque Management adjustability with the push of a few buttons. Mine is set at 6400 rev limiter 5950 5950 Wot shifts on 91 performance and she rips especially with elevated part throttle shift points. When your ready for a shift schedule look me up, I have an 05 as well and have scripted and tested many schedules.

OP
OP
V

v8only

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
hell yea im ready now...my tuner has the paid option but i havent played with it..id love to baseline my times soon...my old stock 03 ram only mustered 10.0 in the eigth but this one feels faster for some reason...my 03 couldnt even chirp the 20s with 3.92s but this 05 with same 20 inch wheels and gearinh will roast the tires .any post up the sched if possible or [email protected]..i really appreciate it

bronx79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an 05 ram with a HEMI and i just got a SC 3865 and run the 91 tune and i can tell a little diff but not the difference that you all mention! And my mpg's are the same as before for in town driving right at 14.2 or 14.3 Not complaining at all!! Just don't see the hype with this chip. I would have rather picked up a ported throttle body from MOE's. I think that would have made more throttle response and power gains.

OP
OP
V

v8only

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You get 14.3 mpg in town on a non mds hemi? Damn you must live in a rural area. In so cal, we have a signal quite literally every block, and mpg in town is about 10.

I haven't tried the 91 tune, I did the economy tune, and I drove completely conservative. I drove out another tank today, 375 miles, and the overhead display was still saying I had about 65 till empty. My results in mpg's are def there...it's about 50 mpgs more per tank of gas (mostly highway)

Keep in mind, when you have 345 horse, 10-20 more isn't gonna give you that neck slamming change you are looking for. In the olden days, when we were modifying 200 HP 5.0 mustangs, exhaust, underdrive pullies, and advancing the timing made it feel like an entirely new car.

Everything you add will add up. The tuner has dyno proven results...then add the exhaust, cai, ported throttle body, and slowly you'll add up to the changes you are looking for. No single one component is gonna give you that OH WOW factor, unless you bolt on a supercharger or nitrous. Keep the tuner, get the ported throttle body next. Then, if you still think the changes are minor, return both the throttle body and tune to stock and drive it...bet you'll feel the difference then.

bronx79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You get 14.3 mpg in town on a non mds hemi? Damn you must live in a rural area. In so cal, we have a signal quite literally every block, and mpg in town is about 10.

I haven't tried the 91 tune, I did the economy tune, and I drove completely conservative. I drove out another tank today, 375 miles, and the overhead display was still saying I had about 65 till empty. My results in mpg's are def there...it's about 50 mpgs more per tank of gas (mostly highway)

Keep in mind, when you have 345 horse, 10-20 more isn't gonna give you that neck slamming change you are looking for. In the olden days, when we were modifying 200 HP 5.0 mustangs, exhaust, underdrive pullies, and advancing the timing made it feel like an entirely new car.

Everything you add will add up. The tuner has dyno proven results...then add the exhaust, cai, ported throttle body, and slowly you'll add up to the changes you are looking for. No single one component is gonna give you that OH WOW factor, unless you bolt on a supercharger or nitrous. Keep the tuner, get the ported throttle body next. Then, if you still think the changes are minor, return both the throttle body and tune to stock and drive it...bet you'll feel the difference then.

All good points!! And to be fair to the truck it has long tube headers and a cold air intake and a aftermarket exhaust all before i bought the programer. I ran 91 octane before the tuner and obviously run it with the tuner. And yeah... im prolly not gonna return it for fear that i might only really notice the difference when its gone..lol

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I was actually going to suggest the same thing. Alot of times we get used to our truck and dont realize its potential until you take the mod off.

For instance, I have a $4000 suspension on my current truck. When I installed it, the ride was night and day smoother than stock on the highway and it really shined when going fast offroad. I was starting to think that the nice ride was wearing off until I drove my Dad's 08 stock 3500 yesterday. I had a headache from hell when I got out of the truck because of how rough the ride was. Made me really appreciate my suspension upgrades.

Just for fun, run the 91 tune for a few weeks and then take it off and see what you think. I bet you notice the difference immediately.

1 other thing has has not been mentioned is that right now we are testing parts in the heat of summer. I dont care what mod you are installing, it is not going to show its full potential until you get in some better air.

bronx79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah that's true!! The heat in Montana as been at record highs all summer and alone with all the smoke for
Fires.

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I average 15mpg in my 05, biggest mpg increase for me was changing my egr valve that was going bad...i also need plugs in the worst way.

bronx79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So changing your egr valve can make a difference??

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I tend to avoid blanket statements....In my case..replacing my EGR that was throwing a CEL made a big difference. If your EGR is functioning properly, I'd say it doesn't matter...just speaking from personal experience.

bronx79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tend to avoid blanket statements....In my case..replacing my EGR that was throwing a CEL made a big difference. If your EGR is functioning properly, I'd say it doesn't matter...just speaking from personal experience.

Do you run a programer in your truck?