spotty/no accelleration and occasional "lightning bolt" on dash???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goldlifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello, new around here and new to Dodge gassers.....I have a 2004 5.7 with high miles that everything works great EXCEPT acceleration. When i floor it, i get a "dead pedal" where it cuts out bad and once, it went into "limp mode" and could hardly turn the truck. Usually when i floor it, it will bog down then it will rev up and really haul ***. Another time i was driving on the interstate with cruise control on and the truck cuts out and I get a "lightning bolt" on the dash. I pulled over,restarted and it ran fine. I have yet to get any kind of "check engine" code.....any thoughts? Any help/info is greatly appreciated

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Welcome to RF bud. Only other thing to check on is if the TB was recentrly cleaned inncorrectly and it damaged the electronics.

OP
OP
G

goldlifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I have to ask. You haven't gotten any check engine codes meaning lights not on, or you have checked for codes via tuner or key trick?

Also does it stay in cruise when you hit the button or does it not engage cruise control at all?

OP
OP
G

goldlifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have to ask. You haven't gotten any check engine codes meaning lights not on, or you have checked for codes via tuner or key trick?

Also does it stay in cruise when you hit the button or does it not engage cruise control at all?

No engine codes at all as of yet....i'll try my OBDII scanner and see if it pulls anything but without a "check engine" light, i don't think mine will be of any help. I wish it DID show a code so I could narrow it down better

It stays in cruise control 99% of the time. It was just that instance last week that the lightning bolt came on the dash(blinking) and it kicked it out of cruise control

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Alright, definitely check with the scanner. There are codes that won't trip the check engine light. I have had a few that have popped up when mine wasn't acting right that never threw a cell.

OP
OP
G

goldlifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright, definitely check with the scanner. There are codes that won't trip the check engine light. I have had a few that have popped up when mine wasn't acting right that never threw a cell.

You were right, the stored code was p1349....does that narrow it down any?

antony rudd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
hi
Hello, new around here and new to Dodge gassers.....I have a 2004 5.7 with high miles that everything works great EXCEPT acceleration. When i floor it, i get a "dead pedal" where it cuts out bad and once, it went into "limp mode" and could hardly turn the truck. Usually when i floor it, it will bog down then it will rev up and really haul ***. Another time i was driving on the interstate with cruise control on and the truck cuts out and I get a "lightning bolt" on the dash. I pulled over,restarted and it ran fine. I have yet to get any kind of "check engine" code.....any thoughts? Any help/info is greatly appreciated
had the same problem on my 04 hemi Tried a new throttle body and new electric throttle control none worked .Ended up cleaning the original throttle body all the crud from the engine so it it was clean used electricial contact cleaner worked ok ever since the deposit build up on the throttle assemby had obviusly affected the weight of the throttle flap causing the truck to go into limp mode funny how none of the new stuff made any difference unless it was faulty