Squealing sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an annoying squeal that happens right after I start up my truck and accidentally step on it a little too much, around 2000 rpms. No matter if the truck is warmed up or not, its always about a minute or two after being started. Its done this probably since I bought the truck. Any ideas?

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Video possible? I don't really understand.

OP
OP
TexasRammer

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
So it does sound like it comes from the front? Probably a pulley or belt. Wonder if it lubricates itself after the first two minutes and that's why it goes away?

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hmm, I was gonna say serpentine belt but those tend to squeal all the time, at least that's what mine did. Anytime the truck was revved, it would squeal.

Does sound like it's maybe something that's lubricating itself like Eddie mentioned above.

OP
OP
TexasRammer

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yup, it sounds just like its coming from under the hood. It sounds like the belt. ^ maybe thats why, I really have no idea why it goes away

OP
OP
TexasRammer

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I took some videos today, but for some reason my phone is messed up. It didnt pick up any sound except for just white noise...

tmerritt530

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
287 ci
when it is cold, take the belt off and start spinning things by hand feeling for roughness or resistance. I would start at the power steering pump.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It might be time for a new belt, and check the power steering fluid

OP
OP
TexasRammer

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
when it is cold, take the belt off and start spinning things by hand feeling for roughness or resistance. I would start at the power steering pump.
alright, will do tomorrow
It might be time for a new belt, and check the power steering fluid
It could be, the last time i remember checking the belt it seemed fine, but not sure. I did read somewhere that some people had an issue similar to this(not with a ram though) and they just replaced the belt and it was fixed. Hopefully its that simple! I just filled the power steering fluid about a month ago. One of the clamps failed and I lost all my fluid, got that fixed now though.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
What fluid did you use for the PS pump? That could be the issue.

tmerritt530

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
287 ci
Sometimes things just wear out the bearings.

Do you have a belt wear gauge? Worn belts can slip more easily and cause squeal.

The problem could be a combination of a component not spinning as freely as it ought to plus a worn belt not grabbing the pulleys properly.

AJ Ramrod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same issue took it to the dealer and they changed the belt and the noise stopped but started again a week later smh

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Sometimes it is more than just the belt. But the biggest culprit is the belt. Other things that might need changing are the tensioner pulley and the idler pulley. The tensioner pulley's spring can become weak over time and that will cause slippage and squealing. Sometimes it is the bearing just going bad. An easy check is to use some WD 40 or a good silicon spray lube, spray the bearings in both the tensioner pulley and the idler pulley, one at a time would be preferred, and see if the squeal goes away. Be careful too not get any lube on the belt, that will make things worse.