Strange findings with flow master exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kelvinparker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all, I am new here. I got suckered into changing my exhaust on my truck to a flowmaster super 40 3" in and 3" out. It is a 04 with the 5.7 Hemi. I use the torque app to watch all the little details my motor puts out.
Here are some findings after I installed flowmaster.
First thing I thought was strange is my intake air temperature skyrocketed it usually only stayed a few degrees above outside temperature but now it stays well over 120 degrees farenheight. It is only 65 degrees outside.
The vacuum sensor used to stay at around 23 in/hg at idle now it stays at 17
The engine load raised by 15% across the rpm board
Mpg dropped by 3 miles per gallon in town and on highway. Cruising at 55mph I could get around 22-23 mpg now it will not go above 19.
Horsepower-gained from 325 to 344
Torque gained from 444 to 455

My question is, am I damaging my motor? I feel the engine may be running lean and that is why my intake temperature is so high. I feel the engine bay may be getting too hot from the exhaust manifolds.

Any advice would be appreciated

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Stock engines run pretty lean as it is. More air out from the flo set up usually needs a bit of more air in to balance things out.

What' I'd do is install a cold air intake and a programmer with a custom tune to manage the air, take out the lean condition and give you a bit better throttle response.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I ran a S40 and I had a significant power loss across the board. I'm not sure about all the readings you're getting as I've never looked into it on my truck, but people are running FM's without issue so I don't think you'll have a problem. With the air temp being hotter the computer will adjust to get the proper air/fuel mix, you gained HP/TQ so I call that a win.

OP
OP
K

Kelvinparker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had the motor rebuilt a few years ago due to valve problems. I had the mechanic at the time put slightly better performance parts in it so I think the stock exhaust was holding it back. It may not be the flowmaster giving me the gains I might get better gains from another exhaust I just don't know.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hello all, I am new here. I got suckered into changing my exhaust on my truck to a flowmaster super 40 3" in and 3" out. It is a 04 with the 5.7 Hemi. I use the torque app to watch all the little details my motor puts out.
Here are some findings after I installed flowmaster.
First thing I thought was strange is my intake air temperature skyrocketed it usually only stayed a few degrees above outside temperature but now it stays well over 120 degrees farenheight. It is only 65 degrees outside.
The vacuum sensor used to stay at around 23 in/hg at idle now it stays at 17
The engine load raised by 15% across the rpm board
Mpg dropped by 3 miles per gallon in town and on highway. Cruising at 55mph I could get around 22-23 mpg now it will not go above 19.
Horsepower-gained from 325 to 344
Torque gained from 444 to 455

My question is, am I damaging my motor? I feel the engine may be running lean and that is why my intake temperature is so high. I feel the engine bay may be getting too hot from the exhaust manifolds.

Any advice would be appreciated
When you say changing your exhaust, what exactly is different beside the muffler?

Cats?, Headers? X or H pipe?
No-where near enough detail to have a clue what's bugg'n you.

OP
OP
K

Kelvinparker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Muffler and resonator. Both cats are still intact. 3" pipe was put in place of resonator and also some to cover the difference in size of muffler and that is it.

OP
OP
K

Kelvinparker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry I should have added this also and didn't realize I hadn't. After exhaust work the truck hunts/surges in first gear if accelerating slowly. Also when in park and I rev the motor with a quick tap of the gas pedal the rpms go to 1700 and stay there until I put it in drive.