Stupid Question BUT....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
If I swap out to a short belt for the winter and bypass the AC pully/compressor, I can still run the vent and the heater correct? To my knowledge there isn't anything on there that would affect the vent and heater if I bypassed that pully but I just want to be sure before I do it once it gets cooler out.

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
How would the defrost be gone? Dont care about the AC in the winter but I didn't think the defrost was connected with the ac. Guess I'll have to go out and see if it engauges when the defrost is turned on.

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
Yup. I had an isuzu a lot of years ago that didn't have AC. When you turned on the defrost it would take forever to work and down here anyway, it would actually make things worse at first until it really got cooking. Defrost in our trucks (and a lot of vehicles) automatically uses the AC to dry the air.

Redneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
Running the ac in the winter also helps keep the compressor seals lubed.

Last edited:

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Ac automatically turns on when def. is on, regardless of temperature. previous posts are correct. It treats the air to quicken the defrost mode.

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I've heard mixed results. Some have said it made a huge difference while others have said it was hardly noticeable. So im still unsure about whether or not i'm goingt to do it or not. Maybe at the track i'll try it.

Hemiguy0302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.2 Boss
Well unless you are always running the AC I could not see this making a huge difference as when AC is disengaged and the climate control selector is in any position but defrost the compressor clutch is disengaged. Unless you compressor clutch is **** ****** all you are turning is a free spinning pulley or a large idler. IMO just leave it as is.

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
the only way i could see this making a big difference would be on a 4cyl vehicle or underpowered 6cyl.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio