Surging in 4x4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mathius

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So this might sound like an amateur question, but here it goes.
Put my truck in 4x this morning to get outta my parking spot. Got a bunch of snow last night..

It did fine till I got up to speed, and it felt like the front end was locking up?
Its kinda lurching, and feels funny in the steering wheel. I know it needs a wheel bearing, and I haven't opened up the front diff yet.

But just throwing it out there, to see if anyone might know why it's acting up?

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any noise? Or just the motion? My 06 has what I like to call the Ram Shuffle. in 4wd, he front has vibration due to the shabby CV joints we have from the factory. May not be your issue, but is mine. Less angle on the CVs makes it better i hear.

OP
OP
Mathius

Mathius

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any noise? Or just the motion? My 06 has what I like to call the Ram Shuffle. in 4wd, he front has vibration due to the shabby CV joints we have from the factory. May not be your issue, but is mine. Less angle on the CVs makes it better i hear.

Mines all stock, cv's are fairly new. I'm thinking it chipped some teeth on the ring gear?
Gonna pull the cover tomorrow, was hoping it was something else. But it's definitely more aggressive than a vibration.
At first I thought maybe the gears were off, I did put a new rear end in it. But I don't think that's it either.
It feels like something is piling up in the t-case, or front diff.. It lurches, and almost feels like the tires are locking up?

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definitely make sure you have the same gear ratio in the front and back