Suspension or alignment question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikw73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Hey guys, I'm new here, and I have a question about my GF's 08 Ram 1500. It's a technical question, so if I'm posting in the wrong area, please feel free to let me know where to post or move this thread if you can.

I don't have the VIN or know the exact option set, but it's pretty basic with a 4.7L V8.

The problem feels like the rear wheels don't point at the front wheels, and is only really noticeable on turns. Especially right turns. A clover-leaf style on-ramp has gotten pretty scary a couple of times, and at reasonable speed and not much power applied. We're both car people apart from her owning this truck for about three years, though I used to drive a '99 Ranger. I remember that it wasn't always great in turns under power, but it was nowhere near this bad.

Is there such a thing as a rear wheel alignment on these trucks, or a way to check it? I suppose it could be the front alignment just being pretty far out of spec., but that's really not the way it feels driving it. Anybody ever have a situation like this?

Thanks!

OP
OP
M

mikw73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
By the way, the truck is completely stock and has about 20K miles, mostly city. The only other thing I notice, and I think this is normal for the model, or for driving unloaded trucks in general, is that if I give it any power when going over rough pavement, the rear end hops and makes a lot of unpleasant bumping noises. A few hundred pounds of sandbags tied to the tailgate might help that some, but I haven't tried.

Thanks again!

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
How long has she owned the vehicle and how long has it been doing that? If its been a while for both, you should have uneven tread wear on the tires which would be an indication of the alignment being off.

As for the rear end hopping, that's the norm for a leaf spring rear suspension when there's not much weight on it

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If in doubt, get it aligned. It will not hurt anything to get it done, and it is not that expensive.

OP
OP
M

mikw73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Thanks. My Ranger was the same basic design and drove similarly over rough patches. Seemed to be the right rear was especially bad, just like this one.

She's the OO, and it's been happening for at least six months. I'll check the tire wear tomorrow. I guess I should look for feathering or uneven wear across the tread surface from side to side?

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the forum. :) Yep, I would check for the uneven wear across the tire, the edges of the tires may look feathered or smoothed out. That's what mine looked like on my other ram when it was out of alignment.

OP
OP
M

mikw73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Thanks for all the responses. I looked at the tires. And there is definitely something wrong. The truck has never had an alignment. All four tires are wearing more on the outside. I don't know yet if they've been rotated since bought, I'm guessing so. The front tires are definitely more worn and definitely have a greater discrepancy in wear between outboard and inboard tread blocks than the rear. I would guess that the front tires are toed in too much, and that the rears are fine or close to it, alignment-wise. Just showing their wear pattern from when they were on the front. I did see a tiny bit of difference in height between the fronts and backs of tread blocks near the middle of the front tires, but that was real subtle. I've seen much worse. So, it is alignment time, for sure.

OP
OP
M

mikw73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Thanks! I checked it--coupla times now. It's spot-on. After seeing the tread, I can't believe I didn't notice the wear problem. It looks like the camber is just way off.

This web page has a pretty good write-up:

http://www.procarcare.com/includes/content/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/ch25/25readtirewear.html

It looks like the one called "One Side Wear". I ran my hand over it, and there is no noticeable feathering.

So I think it needs exactly what she thought it needs. I just hope the tires are worth keeping on it. I'm not sure they are.

Thanks again for the suggestions! I'm a big fan of pictures, so I'll post a couple once I'm looking at them with some decent light.

OP
OP
M

mikw73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
As promised, pictures of tires:

The first two are the fronts. The sideways one is a rear. Looks like camber to me.

Driver's front:

aefe71a6-83a0-3bb1.jpg

Passenger front:

aefe71a6-83d6-9654.jpg

Driver's rear: (No puns, please!)

aefe71a6-8406-667c.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325105164.195006.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325105164.195006.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 141
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325105182.463672.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325105182.463672.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 124
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325105202.845159.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325105202.845159.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

Burntfire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine did the same thing. It turned out to be my tie rods.

Try looking at your tie rods, getting an alignment, as well as a balance if it's not just your tires.

OP
OP
M

mikw73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Hmm. Are tie-rods normally adjusted in an alignment? I would think so. (I don't know all that much about suspension and steering systems.) The brainiacs at her closest open-today shop said the alignment was fine, and she just needs new tires. (To chew up.) At least they didn't charge her for that. Maroons. She's gonna take it to her regular place next week.

Thanks for all the advice and welcomes. This looks to be a pretty awesome forum.