Suspension...WTF???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
I have nearly new everything front and rear. Why does my truck still ride like crap? Still feels like steering wheel is getting yanked out of my hand on certain bumps, still have wicked wheel hop, still rattle bang on certain bumps. It's ******* me off. Maybe I'm cracking up but I think it rode nicer before I replaced everything. New shocks, tires, leaf springs, ball joints, steering rack, etc...

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Alignment is perfect. Just had it checked when I put the new tires on. Body bushings are good. It's very frustrating because I have replaced just about all the major suspension components.
Should handle and ride like a brand new 2002 truck.

devinnestle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 v8 hemi
Hey I'm sorry but how do you post on this page?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Nah, it's all good name brand or even oem stuff.
Would changing out front sway bar and adding a rear sway bar make a dramatic noticeable improvement?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Not really. Just stiffens it up a little bit. I'd be going through it and checking everything for torque and lubrication.

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Everything is to specs, lubed. Went through all that already.
I'm looking to buy new because I'm ready to throw in the towel.
Got 12k invested in this thing in less than a year. It's still not right. Although the new engine runs awesome, the ride issues are driving me insane. I have OCD. Maybe I'm expecting too much but I have 3/4 of a new truck mechanically.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Did you leave the front at the stock height?

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Haven't leveled yet. That's on my to-do list.
Would buying new control arms make a noticeable difference?

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Did you do the work yourself?

The reason I am asking is I have read a few people have noticed elongated holes for the Rack-n-Pinion making the truck behave erratically, as the rack is shifted around when being knocked out of position by hitting bumps or pot holes.

Changing Control arms, unless really twisted or cracked would not change a lot. Maybe if the Bushings are bad, but they can be replaced.

If you are not hearing any clunks, bushings should be fairly decent although they may not be as stiff as they used to.

I just did a full front end refresh with cheapo parts and the truck runs great, so I don't know what you are missing, but you are definitely missing something. Did you do both lower and upper Ball joints (uppers come with the control arm and bushings), Stabilizer bar links/bushing, Tie Rods outer/inner, Lower control Arm bushings. This is pretty much everything between your hands and the wheels.

Did you get your Torsion bars checked? They do wear out... depending on what the previous owner did with the truck they could be worn out and would not support the vehicle adequately anymore, and this would yield some really bad handling.

Hope these few ideas will help.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Haven't leveled yet. That's on my to-do list.
Would buying new control arms make a noticeable difference?
I don't know about the control arm's but be aware that leveling the front by adjusting the torsion bars will only make the ride stiffer.

slee4780

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 L 318 CID
Check you air pressure in your new tires.

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
I had my mechanic do the work. I don't do suspension work anymore because of time, tools, and age. And lack of ambition.

There are no real clunks, or "smoking guns" as far as issues. The only thing I'm aware of is the shackles were not changed when the spring were installed. Did not do upper ball joints but I just checked them again and they are as solid as can be. Maybe my expectations are too high. Don't get me wrong she rides and handles very good but I was expecting better with all the work done. I've driven these trucks when they were new and I know how they rode and handled. With all the work I've done so far it still feels like an older truck.

89gtcs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What tires are you running, and what is your air pressure? A few PSI can make a huge difference.

Also - what kind of shocks did you get? Maybe those are contributing to a rougher ride.

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Goodyear Silent Armor stock size and Monroe Reflex. This was going on before the tires. I sold myself on new tires thinking that would help. The shocks are almost a year and the tires are a few weeks.

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
BTW...what's the big deal with these Bilstein shocks? They seem to be preferred on the Rams. Are they that good?