Talk me out of getting a 2500 PW and talk me into getting a 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhySoSerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not Yet
Engine
To Be Announced
I WANT a freaking Power Wagon. But my brain tells me that I should just get a 1500, maybe an Outdoorsman.

I have been mulling over it for months and although the 1500 is a nice looking, rugged, sweet ride.... I just can not get the 2500 Power Wagon out of my head and heart. I want it!!!!!

I think about things like poorer fuel economy, larger truck to worry about parking and stuff and.......I dont know........can you talk me out of the 2500 PW? If not, then I will have to get it.

omaha123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l CTD
you actually gonna go offroad and wheel in the powerwagon?

Roll_HEMI_Tide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're going to USE the 'Wagon, go for it.

If you think it'll end up being a highway queen, go with the 1500.

OP
OP
W

WhySoSerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not Yet
Engine
To Be Announced
It's gonna end up being a Highway Queen. A go to the supermarket, go to work, go to 7-11 kind of truck.

So no, I ain't gonna be "using" the PW. No way am I gonna be taking a $55,000 truck out on large rocks and getting her dented up.

Dang, so I guess I have my answer even though I don't like it.

A part of me DOES though want to start offroading. So who knows. Maybe I will actually be "using" the PW. The point is I just dont know for sure.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i can't talk you out of it....if power wagon or 2500 is picking at your mind you will NEVER be happy with a 1500. You will always think that you should have gotten the power wagon or 2500. With saying that.....get what you really want and it will cost you less in the long run because you won't pay twice

OP
OP
W

WhySoSerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not Yet
Engine
To Be Announced
i can't talk you out of it....if power wagon or 2500 is picking at your mind you will NEVER be happy with a 1500. You will always think that you should have gotten the power wagon or 2500. With saying that.....get what you really want and it will cost you less in the long run because you won't pay twice

Oh, I like this answer! LOL

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Think of the payments........Dont waste the money on the power wagon. They are super cool but also the power wagon deserves a life on the trail. If you cant give it that then dont force it into a life of sadness.

DodgeGirl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi Sport
Think of the payments........Dont waste the money on the power wagon. They are super cool but also the power wagon deserves a life on the trail. If you cant give it that then dont force it into a life of sadness.

Id have to agree. Why get a truck like that and not use it to its full potential? Especially if its only going to be a street queen like you said. Also, just because you think you "might" want to get into off roading, that doesn't mean you will and, to me, does not justify getting a truck like that in hopes that you may or may not do something. Plus the payments and fuel for a truck like that cant be overly cheap. Stick with a 1500 for now. It's a nice, well built, solid, all around truck. It will do basically anything you want/need it to do. If in a few years you decide you want something different like the PW then you always can.

Last edited:

Dawizman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
As for ride quality... I much prefer the ride of my power wagon over the 1500 rental I'm stuck in right now. As for being a bigger truck to park etc... Just don't worry about it. You'll get used to its size in the parking lots, and you'll get used to looking down at almost every other vehicle to drive past. I have to recommend the reverse camera though. I didn't have one in my 2010 2500, and I can't believe how much I use it in my new truck!

Motomech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Get the PW!!!!!!! It's the best of the best. The 1500 is Not the "TRUCK" It used to be. 2500-3500 it where it's at!

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
If that's what you want I'd say go for it. How you use your truck is up to you, but you will be the one who has to walk up to it every time you want to go somewhere and want to be able to smile and be completely satisfied with your purchase. I love my truck to death but so often I think about if I had waited a few months and went for a cummins. No sense in regretting a big purchase like that when you're talking $10-15k more on a $40k+ truck. That's really not that much more in the big scheme of things, plus a power wagon is going to hold more reseale value.

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If that's what you want I'd say go for it. How you use your truck is up to you, but you will be the one who has to walk up to it every time you want to go somewhere and want to be able to smile and be completely satisfied with your purchase. I love my truck to death but so often I think about if I had waited a few months and went for a cummins. No sense in regretting a big purchase like that when you're talking $10-15k more on a $40k+ truck. That's really not that much more in the big scheme of things, plus a power wagon is going to hold more reseale value.

I age work most of this but to say $10-15k isn't that much more really isn't so. That would easily be $250-300 extra per month of added cost. That could be the difference between keepingthe truck or having to get rid of it at a loss if tough times happen to fall on the OP.

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
DO IT! I love my Wagon! Just be warned, you're going to get about 8-10 MPG in town and about 12-14 on the highway. Add some bigger tires and you're going to be closer to 10-12 highway. If you can stomach that, then go for it!

For me it's not too bad. I put on about 14k miles this year and comparing my 12 MPG Power Wagon to my old 18 MPG 1500, it's less than $1200 a year difference. I have a company car though, so I'm not driving the truck back and forth to work everyday.

tractordoll

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
It's gonna end up being a Highway Queen. A go to the supermarket, go to work, go to 7-11 kind of truck.

So no, I ain't gonna be "using" the PW. No way am I gonna be taking a $55,000 truck out on large rocks and getting her dented up.

I got over the fear of wheeling with a new vehicle once I started driving hummers. Nothing like taking a $70k truck in the woods to test ones real resolve. It was good experience too.

At one time I had 3 of them, and 2 were offroaded and 1 was a pavement princess. When I decided to offload it was the first to go.

I am actually looking forward to taking my 3500 offroad this year once I am done getting it trail ready.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

angelac

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you really want the wagon and can afford it then go for it, other wise it'll be in your head all the time, should of bought the wagon want the wagon etc.

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The simple fact that this is your second thread on this debate tells me that you just need to go with the Power Wagon or you won't be fully satisfied with your purchase.

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
ill also say this. If you just looking to get into off roading a few good mods will treat you fine on a 1500.

OP
OP
W

WhySoSerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not Yet
Engine
To Be Announced
The simple fact that this is your second thread on this debate tells me that you just need to go with the Power Wagon or you won't be fully satisfied with your purchase.

Yup, you are right. I thank all of you who answered me. But yeah.....you are indeed right. This is killing me that my employment circumstances have been this bad for so long. It is killing me that I cant get my Power Wagon. But like I said in another post I know that my day will come. I thank all of you for being patient with me and not laughing at me. I have a dream and I know it will come true one of these days. Power Wagon it is. And now to decide on the color.....lol