Tell me about keys, please (2008)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

khigh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I just have one key that came with my 2008. In addition to having a general spare, I'm always about half-convinced I'm about to lock it inside when I go to cool it down (black truck in GA).

I think I have a handle on the basics after searching. I either have to get a key from a dealer, or get one on eBay and take it to a dealer to have it cut. I got that much.

But is there a different form factor? I REALLY hate it. Is there a way to split it up into a conventional key and a conventional remote? I really do hate the big hurking thing. I understand there's a chip involved, but isn't that just a proximity thing? Like on the same keyring?

Also - if I take it to have remote start added, will I have to have the remote that comes with that PLUS the big remote/key/combo?

Thanks for looking.

castro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
keys

I just have one key that came with my 2008. In addition to having a general spare, I'm always about half-convinced I'm about to lock it inside when I go to cool it down (black truck in GA).

I think I have a handle on the basics after searching. I either have to get a key from a dealer, or get one on eBay and take it to a dealer to have it cut. I got that much.

But is there a different form factor? I REALLY hate it. Is there a way to split it up into a conventional key and a conventional remote? I really do hate the big hurking thing. I understand there's a chip involved, but isn't that just a proximity thing? Like on the same keyring?

Also - if I take it to have remote start added, will I have to have the remote that comes with that PLUS the big remote/key/combo?

Thanks for looking.

there is two different types of keys one with the remote and one without but you will need to get them programmed no matter what what key or where you buy it. i had one made it cost me 300.00 with the remote .only to put an aftermarket alarm and yes i have two remotes now i should've gotten the non remote one if you use one without the chip it starts for 30 seconds and turns off and if you do it a few times it locks you out and u need to take it to the dealer

bulldog1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Thanks for looking.
I just recently bought a 08 ram with one key. What I did was ordered one from amazon. It was the same thing without the factory stamp on the back. I was able to get it cut at my local ace hardware. So ascentially I have one key with my remote start and remote locks. And one key with all the buttons that can be programmed but for now it will get me in the door and start my truck if needed. I tested this and it works. No chip needed.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

bulldog1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
there is two different types of keys one with the remote and one without but you will need to get them programmed no matter what what key or where you buy it. i had one made it cost me 300.00 with the remote .only to put an aftermarket alarm and yes i have two remotes now i should've gotten the non remote one if you use one without the chip it starts for 30 seconds and turns off and if you do it a few times it locks you out and u need to take it to the dealer
I did not know this. I just told him no chip needed. Wow glad I read this. I ordered one, had it cut and tried it in my driveway quick. Worked great. So after 30 seconds eh? I had to be close to that.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Check the owner's manual, my 16 has procedures for programming keys.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check the owner's manual, my 16 has procedures for programming keys.

If it is anything like how they did it with jeeps, there is a procedure, but you need 2 already programmed keys in order to program a 3rd.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 07 I'm on my 3rd key (all with remote start from dodge.) I tried calling a few locksmiths and even ones that specialize in chipped keys and they all told me "sorry, that key has to be programmed by dodge."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If it is anything like how they did it with jeeps, there is a procedure, but you need 2 already programmed keys in order to program a 3rd.

Agree, because you have only one you will need a second one according to the instructions. 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Key Programming – Free Keyless Entry Remote Key Fob Programming Instructions

I guess you could try it using the same key twice but who knows.

Call your dealer and ask the cost of programming one key. It might be less than you think. Before you go to the dealer, talk to a local locksmith, they are usually much less expensive than the dealer around here.

OP
OP
K

khigh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Thanks for the input.

I saw in the eBay listings that if you had two, you could DIY it. Unfortunately I just have the one. I'll probably get several, pay to have one done, and duplicate the others. I'll call a locksmith before I call the dealership.

KIDRR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 345 Hemi
This thread makes me happy that I have an 04 without anything fancy on it. Key from the dealer for $25 or local locksmith for $5 :)

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This thread makes me happy that I have an 04 without anything fancy on it. Key from the dealer for $25 or local locksmith for $5 :)

Even cheaper if you search ebay, then have it cut.

I got 3 jeep keys WITH the chip for $15 shipped. I went to my home depot and had them cut it (they have no mechanism for charging you for keys you bring, so a bought 3 cheap standard keys and they cut my keys). I walked out to the parking lot, and programmed all 3 keys (I had my original 2 keys). Total it cost me <$20 for 3 programmed and cut keys.

OP
OP
K

khigh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The worm turns! And it looks promising!

I was in AutoZone yesterday. (Or was it Advanced? I can never remember which is which), and saw a sign saying "We make Transponder keys".

I handed him mine and asked if he could make it. He looked everything up and came back with "Yes. For $80". Then he shows me a very conventional looking key with a fat head. No remote stuff. That's awesome, and actually what I want... IF I can get a conventional style fob remote.

Anyone know if standalone remotes are available?

Thanks for looking.