Is there a way to tighten the steering Wheel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not the steering itself but the steering wheel. With this truck being 10 years old I can grab the top of it and pull toward me and have it move. it probably only has less then a quarter inch play or even much less then that but you can definately wiggle the steering wheel. I'm wondering if there is a way to get the airbag/horn section off and tighten some bolts or something.

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How long has it been like that? Can you jiggle it back and forth, like if you had one hand at the top and the other at the bottom and move it back and forth?

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm not sure how long its been like that but its been that way since I've owned it which is about 3 months. That is exactly how it moves. With my hand at the top I can wiggle toward and backwards. Small movements but noticeable.

zack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5 packing the smarty
Engine
5.9 cummins ho
undo the four bolts on the back of the wheel allowing the air bag to come out.. Becareful you dont undo the clock spring it is a pain in the ass to wind it back up then there is a nut in the center of the wheel but it sounds like you might have other things to replace

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hmm, that is weird. The nut/bolt that hold the steering wheel in the column is supposed to be loctite'd from the factory. If that was loose, the steering wheel would prolly be actually coming out of the column.

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just checked the steering wheel when I went out to start the truck this morning. I was absolutely exaggerating the movement. It goes wiggle but nowhere near the 1/4 inch or anything like that. I'll take a look and see if this is something I want to mess with or just leave it alone. I don't think I have to worry about the wheel coming off or anything.

Oefootball_70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol, this is deff the first time I have heard of someone with this issue. Hopefully u get it all worked out for you.

mikes04hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
mine does the same thing.....just a little "wiggle" nack and forth.

nussdawg395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
undo the four bolts on the back of the wheel allowing the air bag to come out.. Becareful you dont undo the clock spring it is a pain in the ass to wind it back up then there is a nut in the center of the wheel but it sounds like you might have other things to replace

I will disagree with this. I really really dont believe that the big center nut that holds the wheel on which your refering to would be loose. Even so the wheel is pressed on as well so it wouldnt be sloppy like that.

I had this in my old chevy, assuming it must use the same kind of setup. Do you pull yourself into the truck by the wheel? I think this is what caused mine to go in my old truck. I had to tear the column down to where the knuckle for the tilt wheel was and remove and locktite the bolts and re-torque them back in. From pulling myslef up into my truck all the time the bolts came loose. It wasnt fun but i would suggest fixing in a timely manner, i left mine go for a long time and eventually it got so bad i had about an inch or two of play and when making turns it would sometimes kick the key back in the ignition. Hopefully it goes smooth.

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I haven't had the truck that long as I bought it used but I used to use the wheel to get up in it until I installed the side steps. I'll ask the dealer to check into it when I have it there to find out what's going on with a weird squeak I have which I think might end up being wheel bearings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01