Thinking about buying a RAM 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

griz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everyone,

I am thinking about buying a 4X4 Dodge Ram 2006 SLT Quad Cab with the Hemi 5.7. I know nothing about Dodge trucks. Some details follow. More than likely I will be buying this truck unless something comes up. Some history. Also, I used to buy a lot of 4 wheel and off road and four wheeler mags in the past so I'm a bit informed on 4X4's in general. I do all my own vehicle repairs with the exception of motor/transmission/transfer case fixes.

The truck is red, has 150k miles, and as far as I know everything works. AC, Power items, 4X4 and I have drove it a couple of times, it seems to drive and handle very well for a big heavy truck. I've never owned a full size truck in my life but, my employer is selling one of their work trucks. Most of the mileage on this truck is from it original owner who is a vice president of the company. He did a lot of towing of a boat he owned from his house to a lake several hours away. However, for the past year or so the truck has been used as a field truck. Which means it's been back in the mountains around here. I spoke to two people who have said that the primary driver of this truck was very easy on it while in the hills, and didn't drive it like he was in an off-road baja type race. The interior is dirty, seats are stained wtih something, but I think it will clean up nicely. The person selling the truck our COO, said he would take the kelly blue book fair value and divide that in half to get his price so, after looking up the book value which is between 10.5 and 12 thousand, I should end up paying around 5-6 for the truck.

Is there anything I should know or look for on this truck? I need something dependable. I'd like to see it get a bit better gas mileage too. Not sure what it gets now. A friend of mine has a Silverado and had his ECU re-flashed or piggybacked or something for an economy tune which he said gave better mileage and horsepower. Odd as that sounds he said he was supposed to gain like 10-15hp on top of the better mileage. How dependable are these trucks and does anyone have one that has at least this many miles or a lot more? I'm kinda gun shy since I've never owned a Dodge truck nor has anyone in my immediate family except for my aunts husband who bought a brand spank new one last year very similar to this one.

Also, I keep seeing something about 4X4/AWD on these as well as the center diff disengaging the front axle. What does the AWD mean? I thought they were 4 wheel drive where one front and the opposite side rear wheel drives the vehicle then they alternate depending on slippage. Any info or help/links/anything will be greatly appreciated. I plan to take time to read through a few posts (already read the 0-60 one). 6 seconds is quick for a 4X4 in the 0-60mph. Thanks a bunch I'd say you see these posts a lot, but after searching I'm not getting any bites

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Take it to a trusted mechanic and have them do a once over on it .

If you do buy it spend the time and money and change all fluids . As for the MPG'S change all 16 plugs and clean the TB .. hard reset and you will be fine

Welcome to RF

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
welcome.

sounds like a good deal.

the mileage doesnt sound bad for the way it has been used.

I wouldnt expect good mph out of any gas dodge truck, its just not their reputation.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
welcome.

sounds like a good deal.

the mileage doesnt sound bad for the way it has been used.

I wouldnt expect good mph out of any gas dodge truck, its just not their reputation.

cough ... um no .. I get 21+ MPG :crazy:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
welcome to Ram Forum...For the price it doesn't sound too bad

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Welcome to RF sounds like a good deal on it, where at in VA are ya

OP
OP
G

griz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to RF sounds like a good deal on it, where at in VA are ya

I work and live at Big Rock, VA. If you map it, you can see the mountains around here. My driveway (paved which is part of the problem I think) is somewhat steep, and I used to go up it all the time in 2wd lowrider trucks(owned 3 (no bags or hydro, for performance and handling/looks)) all the time as well as a geo tracker 4wd I bought for four wheeling (I can hear your laughter.. LOL). The snow's have gotten worse these last few years and I'd also like to be able to drive all the way home instead of parking somewhere at the bottom of both hills nearer to the main road. I've recently slid down it twice backwards in two different Fwd cars and it sucked. If I didn't stop, I'd ended up in an old lady's kitchen or living room. It's started to lean or settle to the right, over the hill, so when you start sliding the front end tends to slide around so you go down sideways. I was going to get studded tires this year if I get another car, but maybe not if I get this truck. Still it's so heavy, I think it'd slide anyway if it were covered with snow and ice.

I have already taken pictures of the truck and looked it over fairly well. It looks pretty good underneath with no obvious leaks or anything like that. I didn't crawl under it though. I probably won't be able to take it to an actual mechanic because they will auction it off kind of. Basically the first person who offers what they ask for it get's it. If no one offers that, then they'll negotiate a little. So, I have to be ready to go when I get the email. Seems like a good deal if I can get it, and get it cleaned up good. If I can get it for half of the blue book value, if it's not a good vehicle or give me too much trouble, then I should be able to sell it or trade it and might even make a profit. Still, if I think it'll be a good dependable vehicle, I'll keep it. I haven't owned something I can go up these old hollers in and run over rocks and bumps without worrying in a long time.

I'm mainly worried about the fairly high mileage. I know many people who are Ford, GM, Mopar, Honda, Toyota, only fans. IMHO, there are lemons in all of them, and as long as it's taken care of with regular maintenance it'll usually last a while. And 150k now, ain't like 150k 20 years ago, technology has made 250k-300k the high mark for a lot of vehicles. I know several people who've had vehicles with 200k + and they still do fine.

Changing the fluids and a tune up is the first thing I do to any used (new to me) car I buy. Thanks for the replies. There are some really nice looking trucks on this forum both 2wd and 4wd.

Does anyone know of someone who has a truck like this or one with the same motor with more miles than 150?

I just spoke to a fellow here at work who said they just put new rotors and pads on the front. And they thought new tie rod ends on both sides. I saw somewhere that these trucks have problems with the power windows. Not sure about that. This trucks windows work fine although I can hear the drivers side more when rolling it down. I don't think it's the motor, probably just need to clean and lubricate the mechanism.

thanks again

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dude six k for an 06 Hemi?! In running condition? Sign me up. 06 around here averages 20k. Id take it whether you want it ir not and resell it. Does he have any more??

(Tapatalk)

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
150k miles and crap in my book man. I bought trucks with 190k already and drove em around for years. Hell my service truck just turned 200k and if my employer did to me what he is for you i would do it without thinking twice.

(Tapatalk)

BigH0ss

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had 300+ on my diesel and 200+ on my dads suburban. As Long as u maintain them they will run forever. I have a dodge ram now and it's by far my favorite! Go for it man. Mopar or no car! Lol

OP
OP
G

griz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My boss here who is another vice president (each person with stock is usually a manager and vice presx). He came in this morning and asked what I'd pay. I told him whatever the COO asks (half fair book), then he said we'll ain't you going to dicker around on the price? I told him no b/c I need a vehicle now. Then he said make me an offer. I told him 4,000. with 1500 to 2000 down, he was cool with that, so I might get it even cheaper.. LOL

Thanks guys for all the comments and advice.. I'll keep you guys posted

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
that is awesome

OP
OP
G

griz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got to drive it again yesterday in the field. I purposely went across a somewhat rough road. I didn't notice a lot of rattles or anything. But the Driver/Passenger Windows are starting to roll up and down slow in some positions. I will remove the door panels and clean and lubricate everything should I get it. I'd really like to fix it up with maybe a 3-4 in lift and larger tires, a nice sound system (I've went through several custom (ny me) installs in my lifetime) After all, there's plenty of room behind the front seats.

I did hear a bit of a knock/rattle in the front end when going over the rough stuff such as ditches and rocks. Any Idea what that could be, I know they've already replaced tie rod ends or ball joints. Supposedly, anyway, Its so hard to find mechanics around here who do good honest work. We had a good one for a while, but they changed to a crooked one recently b/c the good one was too slow they said. He is slow, but it's because he's so busy.

I'd also gonna starting doing more searching and browsing for perfromance (sometimes also = better mpg's). I tried to watch the mileage yesterday on the above console gauge. According to that, I got between 12 and 22 depending on the situation. Overall, looks like I got around

I will read and search, but can you guys think of any easy, and relatively cheap mods to get more power/better mileage, While changing fluids and doing the tuneup, I'll probably try to score either a drop in K&N or a short ram, or CAI inatake as long as it doesn't put it near the bottom too far where water can get to it.

I know that on the older 302 mustangs )89-93) you could bump up the timing a bit to get more power, Those are the type of tips i'm looking forl. Other than this man maybe another mopar forum. Where do you guys go for ordering parts?

Also, I'll probably run some type of hich mileage oil, probably valvoline or Mobil one. It's too late for the Mobil one Fully synthetic extended mileage I used to put in my Civic SI. (previous car) But honestly, I don't know if suynthetic would help or not unless it's during cold weather as far as getting maximum miles on the engine because everyone in my family uses valvoline reg or ext mileage and has well over 190k miles.

Any suggestions on these issues. I promise to read more. But anything you guys/ga;s cam tell me regarding the above questions/issues?

thanks again for your patience and responses. You guys have been great, just the way a good forum should be.

I promise to do more reading on this forum and elsewhere this weekend. Just looking for general ideas

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
You can get a tuner for your ram for a pretty good price to add some hp

OP
OP
G

griz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys I am the proud owner of a RAM. Got it tagged and stickered yesterday. Since I had to get a sticker they lifted the front end to check for slack. They said the lower ball joint on the drivers side is bad.

I could swear that the company just had those put on unless the mechanic never did what he was supposed to. Or they might have put upper ball joints on. I also cracked and brock my passenger side mirror backing out of the carport. Wow, this thing is much larger than the civic si I owned previously. Should be able to get one of those at a junk yard or find aftermarket mirrors of some kind.

I saw a few programmers out there. I'd like to be abel to plugin my droid to the ODB2 port via bluetooth adapter and program it. But such a thing may not exist. I know you can get the blluetooth adapter and apps to read stats and codes. But probably not program it. The apps I'm thinking about do what the old g-tech's used to do and more.

Looks like I've got a lot of reading to do

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
awesome Griz. Yea i don't think you will be able to program with your droid. You can however get a superchips or other like programmer. They do work and give a decent amount of options

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
SC is going to release something like that called the Vivid. Look into the DSP Trinity also if you want alot of options.