Traction Lock Rear End

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have one of those traction lock rear ends. Was changing fluid, there are some fragments in the bottom. Turns out to be the clutch assembly clips.

What I'm wondering is... I looked at 2 building tutorials and it shows the clips go over the humps on the outside of the clutch plates before assembly BUT doesn't show them on the assembly itself.

Are they just for basic alignment then were supposed to be removed when the plates go in the carrier?

I didn't do this by the way.

Thanks

OP
OP
JAMMAN

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK I found the rest of the clips LOL this is going to turn out to be a nightmare.

OP
OP
JAMMAN

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No nightmare, pulled the caps one at a time, removed remaining clip fragments, replaced caps, replaced fluid with fresh.

I'm running clipless now. I don't see a problem with it. If I find some new bearing caps (if someone has a set not gored up by broken plate retainers I would consider buying them) I'll just go tru trak locker and be done with it.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Clips are not needed, as you said earlier they are just for assembly. Best thing to do is remove them and get them out of there before they fall out and wind up jammed somewhere they're not supposed to be. I removed them from my '02 after one backed out enough to wear a groove in the bearing cap and housing. Ran it for many thousands of miles after that without a problem.