Trans Flush or Complete change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silverbullet08

Persona Non Grata
Reaction score
well once i get the other problem fixed im gonna to replace the fluids. its abuot time anyways (49k miles) anyways i had a questions on what to do. ive read just flushing the trans can be bad bc it clears all the dirt and crap and it gets clogged up causing the trans to fail. dont need that now lol i found this diy and it seems pretty good. my question is do i have to do a complete change like the lines on the front or can i just drop the pan, change the filters and add new fluid? thanks

here is the link for the diy
Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Transmission Fluid Flush and Filter Change Procedure for 3rd Gen Dodge Ram 1500

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The flush should get all the stuff completely out of the tranny, it shouldn't be left to clog anything, that and if you have been keeping up with the changes there shouldn't be any junk anyways.

And you don't nned to change the lines.

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also silver most good shops will not use anymore pressure in the "flush" than the normal tranny pump can provide on it's own, some even use the tranny pump to do the flush.

OP
OP
S

Silverbullet08

Persona Non Grata
Reaction score
not change the lines flush the fluid out of the lines on the truck...

and ive never changed it since ive had the truck

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
I'm for dump and replace fluids along with new filters and for extra 50-60 $$ throw in an HD Transgo Shift-Kit at the same time Nick!

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Shift kit is good as long as you know what you are doing, one missplacement of a spring and by by tranny.

Just drop the pan and do the filters unless the fluid is really bad, then do a full flush. The main "junk" you will find is going to be in the converter, and the only way to get that out is with the full flush.

Its also a difference of 8qts (+/-) for dropping the pan vs 14 qts (+/-) for doing the full flush so depending how much $$$ you got to spend on it that could come into play too.

Oh be prepaired to make a BIG mess too, there is no good way to drop the pan unless you have a drain plug installed.

OP
OP
S

Silverbullet08

Persona Non Grata
Reaction score
^alright ill think ill just drop the pan and change the filters...

i think that diy said 5.5 qts? and yea not alot of money... i still have to do the rear diff, i need the tune and then new tires...

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I thnik its a little more than that, just dont over fill it, that can add even more trouble.

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
If you're using the stock pan and would like to stay a little clean ... you can use small flexible tubing down the fill tube and suction some out.

DSC_1796.jpg

DSC_1785.jpg

Most shops will have a pump system and draw the fluids out this way ... it wont hurt a thing.

Then the pan is low enough you can lower it with out bathing in it.

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
too bad you're not local to me...I could save you some $$$ and get you the ATF+4...

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
Not mine I can't claim credit on that one ... I have a Magtech pan :D

OP
OP
S

Silverbullet08

Persona Non Grata
Reaction score
im not worried about getting it everywhere. its not my drive way lol but that is a good idea though...

im trying to decide if i want to do it or take it to the dealer...

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Dealer will charge an arm and a leg for it. if you have them do the rear at the same time its a little over $600 for both (did that once, wont do it again)

shadow11

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005, 2009
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can do it yourself. I did it in my old truck and its just messy.

OP
OP
S

Silverbullet08

Persona Non Grata
Reaction score
Dealer will charge an arm and a leg for it. if you have them do the rear at the same time its a little over $600 for both (did that once, wont do it again)

yea i dont think it will be that high here, i know rear diff is only 115 here... prob just call and see how much. i still need to buy the filters from the dealer right?

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Napa/autozone/checker should have them for fairly cheap if you are going to do them yourself, just be sure you get the one for a 2wd not the one for the 4wd as they are different.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
It's 5.5 qts for the A45RFE, 545RFE trans

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
do the filters/fluid yourself. get 7 or 8 quarts of ATF+4, the filters, and some RTV. its really not that hard. and if you are already that far in, get the HD-2 shift kit. the VB work is cake. if you mess that up, you are probably fully ********. the pump springs, and extra snap rings arent really needed.

seriously, the HD-2 install will only add about 20 min onto your fluid change time.