Trans slipping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slither

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hey there, new to the forum and ram ownership.Just got my 2004 Ram 4x4 a afew weeks ago. I have noticed 3 times in the last few days , when pulling away from a stop light, the engine will rev for a second before the tranny kicks in, then it hits hard, its only from a stop, never at speed etc,and not consistent, I checked the fluid, it shows just above the first dot at the hot mark , when warmed up, is this enough to cause this?.

badblackram06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It could be a few things. How many miles are on it?

My 06 did this a few times at around 80k but was also doing it in higher gears with heavy throttle. I changed my filters and fluid and it has not happened again.

I've read where it could be the shift solenoid not engaging when it supposed to. Check for DTCs. Most transmission codes won't throw the check engine light but the TCM will still store some codes with some valuable info on what it might could be.

OP
OP
slither

slither

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
170, 000 kms, so just over 100,000 miles, runs great, fluid looks clean,

badblackram06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could possibly be a shift solenoid. They've been known to cause issues.

Notsobroke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the same issue along with a few other lock-up going in and out, and shifting into gear was delayed and banging. Turned out to be the shift solenoids. Before assuming check your fluid, if its burnt or got alot of flake you might want to look into it alittle deeper. you could try a filter change at that but always remember a trans that has been neglected like to be that way. Swapping fluid sometimes opens up a can of worms

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye