Transfer Case Removal/Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elisha12qb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I am looking for any type of help or recommendations on the best way to go about removing a transfer case and installing a "new" one.

Looking for specific tools needed other than typical socket wrenches. Also any tips from personal experience.

I am looking at doing this on my own after the shop was wanting $2600 for parts and labor to remove and install a refurbished transfer case. Mine has been making quite a bit of rattling noise when coasting to stops and slowly taking off from stops - been doing it for the last 4-5 months. The shop said that it was "completely gone" on the inside and needed a full removal.

I have not purchased the replacement transfer case yet either, so taking any recommendations on where to get that as well.

I have an 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 - SLT Crew Cab - Hemi
Manual Shift Transfer Case - 241

Any suggestions, tips, videos, photos, etc are greatly appreciated!

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why not have it rebuilt?

First, I would go to a local 4x4 shop, look for one that has all the lifted jeeps/trucks in the parking lot. They will not **** you on the price, and for a 241, they have probably done a lot of work on the younger brother the 231 in wranglers.

Honestly, it is maybe 3 hours of labor to swap. Remove linkage, drain fluid, remove driveshafts, remove mounting bolts, swap transfer cases, reverse order.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Check out youtube - I've seen videos on doing it.