Transmission Fluid question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmdodt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
4.7 V8
Hey All - first time here but I am a bit puzzled.

I noticed that my truck was doing very minor weird things in shifting. Sometimes when coming to a stop it would stall and shut down (very rare, but happened). Also, sometimes when I started it would idle around 1000rpm, instead of its normal 600 rpm. This seemed to differ everytime i started the truck. There was also a weird refusal to upshift when doing a rolling stop waiting to make a turn. All of this caused me to check my transmission fluid. When I pulled the dipstick, it was very very low. I just did a flush myself a few months back (and actual flush not just drop and replace) and made sure it was full. There has been no spots anywhere that i park and no signs anywhere underneath truck. I added two quarts yesterday, and it really didn't move up the stick at all. 2 more quarts, and when i initially ready it cold, it was way overfilled. Started it and let it get to temp, then it was right at hot fill. Check about an hour and a half later at operating temp and the line is between cold and hot fill halfway (5 consecutive checks). Where the hell is fluid going, or am I doing something wrong when checking (operating temp -> run through gears -> wipe stick -> dip back in and check). Like I said...0 signs of any drips anywhere on truck or ground. That was adding 4 qts over the past two days and no i wonder if its overfilled, though it does seem to be shifting fine now. Just seems like everytime i check levels its something drastically different. Yes, its on a level surface

Also note - this stuff just started happening after i went to firestone for an inspection (failed for brakes and outer tie rods). I did experience the truck stalling when coming to stop 2 times months and months ago, at which time I replaced the IAC and the TPS which seemed to have helped...until now after the inspection.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
I would be cautious about overfilling. The engine is running when you are checking the levels - in park or neutral - check manual.

If all that is done look for fluid at the top of the transmission and possibly near the transfer case. Then look at the lined to the transmission cooler at the front of the truck.

A tell tail sign of a leak is dirt that adheres to the fluid

OP
OP
G

gmdodt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
4.7 V8
To further the confusion...when checked "cold"...truck not running for at least an hour, the fill is between the HOT fill dots, leading one to believe its overfilled; however, when the engine is running for a few minutes and the gears are run through, the level on the stick drops to just below the "COLD" fill dots...this seems exactly opposite to how it should be.

I already checked manual, they said check when at operating temperature, in park, after running through the gears up and down. Which leads to the low reading, no matter how much is added.

I understand what you are saying about a leak, but a leak of this magnitude would not just simply be absorbed by dirt or hidden somewhere...we are talking quarts. I may just do the brake and tie rod work and when it goes for reinspection ask them to courtesy check my tranny levels, see what their thoughts are. This is just baffling to me.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Cold and off means nothing.

The dirt does not absofbe the oil just points to it.

Last edited:

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Drive around to bring it to temp. Then park on level surface. Set parking brake and put tranny in neutral with engine running. Then check level of fluid. This is the correct way. If you are losing fluid. Check all over for leaks and check radiator for fluid in coolant.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk