Transmission issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brazilian04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yesterday I was driving and I gunned it from a stop but when I hit 4000 rpm it felt like the power stopped going to my back wheels and locked in at 4000 rpm. I could still hear the engine working but it wasn't delivering anymore power or shifting. I put it into neutral and started driving again and it was fine. It's the second time this has happened and the last time it happened after it downshifted to second but locked at 4000 rpm also. I checked the transmission fluid the last time and it was clean and didn't seem to have anything wrong with it. Both times were weeks apart. Only mods I have done is an air intake and exhaust. Any clue as to what it could be or anything I could try and do to fix it?

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Hmm how many miles on the truck?? It might be the torque convertor letting loose. Maybe someone else with more experience will chime in.

OP
OP
B

Brazilian04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hmm how many miles on the truck?? It might be the torque convertor letting loose. Maybe someone else with more experience will chime in.

Just barely broke 85k. Wasn't driven much the past 3 or 4 years. Only bout 10k miles total maybe.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you know the service history of the transmission?
It may be a sticking valve / widget / gizmo (technical enough for ya) in the transmission.

OP
OP
B

Brazilian04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Do you know the service history of the transmission?
It may be a sticking valve / widget / gizmo (technical enough for ya) in the transmission.

It changed owners a lot during the first couple of years but a dealerships had it the past couple of years and when I got it I changed out the oil and switched it to synthetic but the oil was clean and it runs well and seems to have been maintained pretty well.

Bigdaddycodes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You said you are running synthetic? What kind are you running? I know our transmissions really like the mopar ATF+4. I learned from experience cause I had amsoil in the tranny and had some issues and was talking and switched back to the mopar stuff and no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Are you sure it's the trans? Sounds like limp mode. Put it in either second or 1st and stand on it going through the gears. Should go clean to 5800 then hit the limiter.

OP
OP
B

Brazilian04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You said you are running synthetic? What kind are you running? I know our transmissions really like the mopar ATF+4. I learned from experience cause I had amsoil in the tranny and had some issues and was talking and switched back to the mopar stuff and no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't switched out the tranny fluid yet was going to do that this week. I meant that when I changed the oil in the truck it looked like it had been recently changed and the tranny fluid is clean.

Are you sure it's the trans? Sounds like limp mode. Put it in either second or 1st and stand on it going through the gears. Should go clean to 5800 then hit the limiter.
I don't know what it could be it just seemed like it would be the transmission. When it happens it'll drive fine after I put it into neutral and then back into drive and it only happens randomly(total of 3 times). It locked up again over the weekend at 4000 rpm and I stayed on the gas to see if it would shift and it stuck at 4000 rpm for about 5 seconds then shifted up and started shifting again normally

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Sorry, I'm no help. There are some inputs shared with the PCM and TCM that might influence torque management such as APPS (pedal position) or TPS from the TB. Which suggest to me maybe a electrical connector plug not tight. You don't have a separate TCM so there won't be some of the external connection that my truck has. Good luck and let us know what you find.

OP
OP
B

Brazilian04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sorry, I'm no help. There are some inputs shared with the PCM and TCM that might influence torque management such as APPS (pedal position) or TPS from the TB. Which suggest to me maybe a electrical connector plug not tight. You don't have a separate TCM so there won't be some of the external connection that my truck has. Good luck and let us know what you find.
My auto tech teacher said that there was a similar issue with a Ram he worked on before and apparently when someone had changed out the transmission filter they had broken a seal or something along those lines so when I do a fluid and filter exchange this week I'm going to take a look at that. So far that's been my best lead.