Transmission Issues (p0700)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rhett5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 2005 2500 5.7 Hemi. Recently my truck threw a P0700 code, which to my knowledge is a generic transmission code. At first, I didn't know what caused it, so I cleared the code. I've now reset it a couple times. When I'm in "Tow/Haul" mode it never happens, no matter how hard I tried. But as soon as I take it out and I'm around the area where it should shift, it shifts into 4th, or OD or whatever, and it's fine. I start to accelerate while in said gear and it feels like it releases then grabs again right after same gear. It has sort of a buck. And almost every time that happens it throws the code.

I doubt it is a bad clutch, I had the tranny rebuilt mid last year and it's been fine until last Friday, new solenoid pack and new sensors. Also, like I said before, this never happens when it's in tow/haul mode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

EDIT
I looked at it with an actual OBDII Reader and found there was also a p0734 and p0735 code. I've read that it could be just low fluid or a bad OD clutch, but as I said earlier I got it rebuilt around mid last year.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Mine was just doing the same thing, hooked it up to the scanner at the dealership and I got a 4th gear incorrect ratio code. I ran it in tow haul for a while til one day it went to shift out of 2nd into 3rd and it never grabbed 3rd. I now have a new transmission in my truck. When we tore the pan off the old transmission there wasn't any metal chunks or even any metal shavings. The solenoid pack was replaced around 15000 miles prior to this so we're not really sure what went wrong.

OP
OP
Rhett5.7

Rhett5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mine was just doing the same thing, hooked it up to the scanner at the dealership and I got a 4th gear incorrect ratio code. I ran it in tow haul for a while til one day it went to shift out of 2nd into 3rd and it never grabbed 3rd. I now have a new transmission in my truck. When we tore the pan off the old transmission there wasn't any metal chunks or even any metal shavings. The solenoid pack was replaced around 15000 miles prior to this so we're not really sure what went wrong.
Yep, you were right, 3rd gear is gone now. What a shame, hopefully, the transmission rebuild warranty covers it.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Did you tear the filter apart when you pulled the pan?What's in the filter tells the tail.

The undefined ratio codes are a nice way of saying your tranny's slipping.
Putting it in tow mode is masking the bad clutch for a time because it boosts the line pressure.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
There wasn't anything in the pan or filter. There's a bunch of possibilities that come up when you run that code through the Chrysler system. Seals, sun gear, and I forget what else.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There wasn't anything in the pan or filter. There's a bunch of possibilities that come up when you run that code through the Chrysler system. Seals, sun gear, and I forget what else.

It takes such a short time to burn a clutch pack I'm really surprised you didn't see anything in the filter.Can't see a sun gear causing a slip unless it's stripped.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It takes such a short time to burn a clutch pack I'm really surprised you didn't see anything in the filter.Can't see a sun gear causing a slip unless it's stripped.

Yea I didn't expect that either but it was listed on the possibilities for the reason of the code that came up on the witech or whatever it's called. But we were surprised and kinda bummed when we didn't see any chunks. Just would've been nice to know what caused it.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ugh...those two codes are usually the kiss of death, bye bye OD/2P clutches.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've built a lot of trannies (GM's mostly) and most of the time you can't really nail down a specific cause.You'll often see a lip seal that has a piece out of it for no obvious reason,but they're usually so burnt up that you just clean it real good and carry on with the build.If the pan or filter have a lot of metal in them then theirs a good bet you won't get it to work right again or they'll be noisey if they do work.