Transmission Problem Please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gronotte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hi Guys,
New here and need your expertise.
Over the last couple of weeks the transmission has had a hard downshift at about 20 mph.
It only happens when the OD button is on as I discovered. If I turn OD off and go up to speed there is never a clunk as I come to a stop. But under normal OD driving the clunk happens on every stop as I decelerate.

Brought it to the dealer and the said that the TCM is not responding. They want 900.00 to replace it.
Is this a common issue and does it make sense.
Thanks
Bob

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Welcome to the site bud, cant say its to common of a problem from what I have seen. Are they saying the TCM just is not reading or what?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
welcome to RF.

Last edited:

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
TCM is transmission computer not torque converter. I would think they could flash the TCM, get a second opinion at another dealer and don't tell then what the other dealer said.

OP
OP
G

gronotte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
They're saying they can't communicate with with TCM therefore they can't flash or reprogram or see if there are issues.

Truck drives perfect except for this condition.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Wish I could help you here, but I would also go to a different dealer and get a 2nd opinion.

OP
OP
G

gronotte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I hear you, just another 100 bucks though
Still worth it
Thanks
all

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well the TCM is a part of the PCM, and i know the dealers charge big bucks to replace those. but you can get them online for around $250 and swap yourself. the problem with that dealers diagnosis though, is that the TCM might not even be the problem, they just cant get their computer to recognize it to tell them the problem. i suspect that once they can read the TCM, it will lead them to the actual problem, most likely the shift solenoid.

but before you do that, check your fluid. make sure the fluid level is spot on, it looks bright red, and doesnt smell burned or have debris floating in it. also, when was the last time the filters were replaced?

frostking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If you have the TMR mod (torque management request wire cut or removed) the dealer will not be able to communicate with the TCM and may think it is faulty.

OP
OP
G

gronotte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
No mods and a very recent fluid and filters change. Thats my worry too about the pcm/tcm not being the problem, but yes a solenoid or something.
This is painfull, for now I'm just using no od unless going over 45mph. At least it dosen't rattle my teeth on the downshift. Over that speed I just pop it into neutral just before the clunk and then into drive once stopped.
Works fine for now but I do want to fix it just hate to spend 1 to 2 k on it now.
Thanks again
Bob

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Heres what I would do if I were in your situation: replace the pcm/tcm, can be had from www.solopcms.com for around $200-250. They need your vin and mileage, and will flash all the latest software to it. It's located easily accessable under the hood, 4 screws and 3 wire harnesses.

If it still had the same problem I would replace the solenoid pack. Can be found online or at the dealer for around $100 or so. To replace, drop the pan, then filter, then valve body. Solenoid pack is the big unit attached to the top of that. You should also replace the 2 filters while your are in there.

You also mentioned you had a recent fluid change. Was it a pan drop and filter/fluid change, or was it hooked up to a machine and flushed? If it recently had the flush, and the tranny wasn't opened up to have the filters changed, you are probably looking at a rebuild or new tranny. What those flushes do is run fresh fluid through the tranny backwards until all the old stuff is out. Sounds good right? Well all the crap in the pan and floating around, and in the filters (theres lots of that, clutches wear down, and there are lots debris from that). Where does all that go? All up into your tranny and clogs up your filters.

Good luck and keep us posted.

mbc4934

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Heres what I would do if I were in your situation: replace the pcm/tcm, can be had from Solo auto electronics for around $200-250. They need your vin and mileage, and will flash all the latest software to it. It's located easily accessable under the hood, 4 screws and 3 wire harnesses.

If it still had the same problem I would replace the solenoid pack. Can be found online or at the dealer for around $100 or so. To replace, drop the pan, then filter, then valve body. Solenoid pack is the big unit attached to the top of that. You should also replace the 2 filters while your are in there.

You also mentioned you had a recent fluid change. Was it a pan drop and filter/fluid change, or was it hooked up to a machine and flushed? If it recently had the flush, and the tranny wasn't opened up to have the filters changed, you are probably looking at a rebuild or new tranny. What those flushes do is run fresh fluid through the tranny backwards until all the old stuff is out. Sounds good right? Well all the crap in the pan and floating around, and in the filters (theres lots of that, clutches wear down, and there are lots debris from that). Where does all that go? All up into your tranny and clogs up your filters.

Good luck and keep us posted.

OlDirtyJohn,
When would you suggest doing a tranny fluid change for these trannys? I want to do a tune/up all fluids change soon since i just got my truck, but the truck has 80k on it, somehow i remember reading that is was a bad idea to change tranny fluid unless it was needed. I can't remember exactly what i read/or the mileage

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Do something for me man go and buy both filters and like 6 quarts of ATF +4, and some of the right stuff. Pull the pan and see if the flat filter broke.

On my 05 Durango this very thing happened and it ended up being that the pos tranny filter from oreilly's or screen if you will (the flat one) was cracked in half and messed up the pressures. I had to pay the dealer to do what I could have done.

$miley

Last edited:

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OlDirtyJohn,
When would you suggest doing a tranny fluid change for these trannys? I want to do a tune/up all fluids change soon since i just got my truck, but the truck has 80k on it, somehow i remember reading that is was a bad idea to change tranny fluid unless it was needed. I can't remember exactly what i read/or the mileage

every 60,000 miles, or more frequently for harsh driving conditions. i change mine maybe every 40k, as i tow quite frequently. what you may have heard was is that its a bad idea to do a tranny fluid flush (where your tranny is hooked up to a machine, and they push clean fluid through it backwards) at high mileage. that can lead to clogged filters, and gunk being broken loose and dropped off inside the tranny. all you need is a simple pan drop/fluid and filter change. and remember, there are 2 filters, the flat "sump" filter and the spin on.

SMITHY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Dodge Ram Quad 4x4
Engine
4.7 Magnum
How many miles are on the truck? I worked at a transmission shop, and I have seen the solenoid packs work and also speed sensors work to fix issues like you describe.

However, I have also seen a transmission flush fry out a transmission too, because of the fact if you have over 100K on the dial, and then you remove all that fluid, you are also removing clutch plate material that is helping that transmission to shift properly. Clogged filters can affect the flow and pressures, but I have not seen that as often. I know whenever we did a flush, over 100K and they could not prove it had been serviced before, we would have them sign a liability waiver and also make them change out the filters too.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins Diesel
Transmission Issue 2006 2500 Ram 5.9 Cummins Diesel

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram Diesel Cummins 5.9. I had my transmission flushed a while back and started having some issues. I just recently changed my tires from 265/70/17 to 285/70/17 and I have started having issues with the transmission shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. Does anyone know what could be causing this and what I can do to fix it?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have a 2006 Dodge Ram Diesel Cummins 5.9. I had my transmission flushed a while back and started having some issues. I just recently changed my tires from 265/70/17 to 285/70/17 and I have started having issues with the transmission shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. Does anyone know what could be causing this and what I can do to fix it?

Flush is the problem all that crap is clogging filters but now you can try to have clutch pack solenoid replaced along with new filter and fluid as much as you can replace. Might be to late but worth a shot.

ineedhelp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L non-flex
Transmission High Rev and Little Go

Sorry if I'm jumping a thread but for the life of me i can not figure out how to start a new question so here it goes.

2006 Ram 1500 4.7L non-flex engine with 98k.

I have no idea if these items are related and i just can't figure this out.

My water pump blew a couple of days ago. I replaced the water pump and the belt. Now every time I start my truck and try to engage the transmission the engine will rev to around 3k just to get moving. It does this for about 150-200 yards and then goes back to behaving normally. It will do this every time i let the truck sit for more than about an hour. The fluid level is perfect and the fluid is in good condition. I have no idea if the two instances are related or it is just merely coincidence, but I had never had a single problem with the transmission until the water pump went out. I have the transmission/rear differential serviced regularly and ahead of schedule. I would greatly appreciate any ideas.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I say its a coincidence. I take it you read this thread so if it were me and I wanted to try and do it myself I would be changing the transmission filters. Welcome to RF.