Truck shakes when breaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hundreds_steez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck tends to shake when i brake going over 35 mph i have new break pads but I can't seem to figure out the problem. I am fairly new to working on my own vehicle and i want to learn so I won't have to be taking it to the shop every time i have a problem with something.

RossC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like the rotors may be warped?

Does the brake pedal pulse when you step on it?

Did you have the rotors machined when you put new pads on?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Yup, sounds like time to replace rotors.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
could be warped rotors. could also be bad hub bearings. Or could be a little of one and a little of the other. to diagnose you will need to use a dial indicator, or you could try just replacing the rotor(s).

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same issue, but brakes and rotors are fine. After doing research, I found a service TSB that said if brake system is fine, but front end shakes while braking, the next step was to replace the lower control arm bushings.

For that you have two options. You can spend about $100 for the bushings, or about $200 (all from rock auto) for new control arms. Going the control arm route is a million times easier, but twice the price.

Pm me if you have any questions about the bushings and what's involved.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Or lower control arm bushings. Mine did it, there's not a recall but a service bulletin that comes up at the dealership for our lowest control arm bushings. Mine had it and that's why I put '08 lower control arms on when I did my lift.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
TSB 02-001-07 REV. A

Here's the link I found a while ago. It's not necessarily a TSB for the bushings, but it says to replace them if it drifts or shudders while braking. However, it does specify the issue is present while braking at speeds of 55, which mine are apparent anything over 35.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
TSB 02-001-07 REV. A

Here's the link I found a while ago. It's not necessarily a TSB for the bushings, but it says to replace them if it drifts or shudders while braking. However, it does specify the issue is present while braking at speeds of 55, which mine are apparent anything over 35.

Yea mine did it mostly at highway speeds but I was just throwing it out there for the OP in case the rotors wasn't the issue. I know I was a lil puzzled with mine til I discovered this cause all my brakes were just completely replaced when mine started doing this.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah mine do it anything over 35, which is pretty annoying, but it's scary doing 70 on the interstate! I had a setback changing mine out, so I only got one strut bushing done :/ lol I'm going to tackle mine in the next few weeks I think.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yeah mine do it anything over 35, which is pretty annoying, but it's scary doing 70 on the interstate! I had a setback changing mine out, so I only got one strut bushing done :/ lol I'm going to tackle mine in the next few weeks I think.

Yea mine was shady feeling on factory wheels and tires, that's why there was no way I was dealing with it lifted and on 35's. Plus I had all it all tore apart anyway so I replaced everything I could suspension wise, been great since.