truck started with no tranny pan on or filters :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So in a huge accident right now, I took a break from doing my tranny service.

As I opened my door to my room I accidently hit the remote start.

Im outside finishing up my job, do you think she will be safe? I shut her off in under 6 seconds.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
The transmission wouldn't have moved. So I'd imagine it'd be okay!

Not my area of expertise so if I'm wrong tell me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The transmission wouldn't have moved. So I'd imagine it'd be okay!

Not my area of expertise so if I'm wrong tell me.

Keep in mind, at least 6 quarts are drained, both filters are off.

My mom was outside when it happened and said she didn't hear anything out of the normal.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Like I said, don't know much about that part of the truck, but it shouldn't have revved very high, it was a very quick amount of time, and I'm sure everything wasn't bone dry whenever it started. Have to get some others opinions when they see this and chime in.

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you are fine. park isnt a forward gear, the tranny wouldnt have been engaged. even if it was, you still had fluid in the converter, and thats mainly what matters

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
you are fine. park isnt a forward gear, the tranny wouldnt have been engaged. even if it was, you still had fluid in the converter, and thats mainly what matters

To top it all off, I accidentally stripped two bolts off. And another hole the bolt doesn't even thread down.
Do I need to drill and tap a new hole or can I just drill it out and get some bolts from autozone that fit.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Whats the location on the bolts in question? Also drive the truck around the block and check your fluid a few times to make sure its dead on.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i bet that scared you. For the bolts you could try a helicoil

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
when i still had a stock pan, i replaced all the bolts with grade 8 stainless. screw those crappy stock ones.

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Right now, no matter how much fluid I add it keeps staying down by the cold area on the dipstick. Should I just keep adding more?

So far no leaks thanks for the help

Last edited:

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
You are checking it while the truck is running right?. You just dropped the pan too coorect? not a full flush? should only need about 8qts I believe for that, need damn near 14qts if you do a full flush with the converter off.

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah I was running it low for a while eeaakkk. So I ran by autozone and got two more. Now I can see that it has moved a little but I still needed one more quart. I still haven't poured it in yet. But thats 9 Quarts right there plus I had a half empty one from my transfer case so 9.5

I really need some help from the community here, I stripped off two heads, and one hole is stripped and needs a larger bolt. I have NO idea what size bolts to get and 3 auto parts stores and lowes are NO help at all. They sit and laugh haha you broke your tranny bolts???

I went to home depot and bought a screw extractor. So I will try and use this to back the two bolts out.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
if you can get them out with the extractor you will be good to go, but if not you might have to drill them out then try a helicoil

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I just got back from sears, got the bits for the extractor and I bought a tap and die set for the tool box along with new tranny bolts. As for the one bolt I plan on tapping a 7mm bolt hole and using a 7mm bolt I bought. I hope this all works out as planned.

zack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5 packing the smarty
Engine
5.9 cummins ho
well good luck an starting your truck like that wont harm it just dont do that with the oil lol

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The stripped hole went easy, I tapped it with a 7MM and then installed my 7MM bolt.

as for the others I broke the bolt extractor attempting a removal, so tomorrow I am going to get a 6MM or 15/64" drill bit and drill the others out and tap them with 7MM bolts.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
hopefully the bolts you got for replacement werent steel or they will rust

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
The stripped hole went easy, I tapped it with a 7MM and then installed my 7MM bolt.

as for the others I broke the bolt extractor attempting a removal, so tomorrow I am going to get a 6MM or 15/64" drill bit and drill the others out and tap them with 7MM bolts.

that sucks that you have to go through all of this. Are you using a torque wrench when putting them back in?

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
that sucks that you have to go through all of this. Are you using a torque wrench when putting them back in?

I will when I install the other two, that one hole was already stripped out. Must have been why the guy who did the last tranny service caked on the gasket. The tranny pan did have a slight moist area around that stripped bolt before I did my service. I am very happy to have that bolted well there, just disapointed about the other two. not only that I need to install my lower ball joints too. long weekend :(

oh and it took 9 1/2 quarts to get my tranny back to full! :crazy:

Last edited:
OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Alright gentlemen and ladies, I was able to drill out the old bolt and tap another one today. All except for the one I broke the bolt extractor off in, my super strong drill bit wont drill through that extractor.

Any ideas?