Truck / wheel jerks to the right when changing gears (auto)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Djeclipse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hello All,

I have a 2008 Ram 1500 5.7L auto. and I am experiencing something I have never experienced before.

When cursing at roughly 40-50km/hr (24 - 30mph) and I floor it to make it downshift to pass someone or just to accelerate in general the truck downshifts and pulls fine. When it shifts into the next gear right when the shift happens the steering wheel jerks to the right fast and is fine after the gear change. It's almost like when yo hit a big pothole with one tire and it turns the wheel in that direction quickly.

This is something I have never heard of or experienced before, changing gears affecting the steering.

This has only happened twice and other times I have tried to replicate it it doesn't happen so it's not a constant thing. The only thing I can think of is maybe something to do with the power steering where it is not spinning fast enough when the shift happens and I loose power steering for a second.. maybe I hit a bump at that time as well?

Or could it be suspension related?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
You are in the right direction check your belt it could be getting stretched.I also start checking the suspension .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam