update on my bilstein 5100 issue, have an install question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemi1300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
after i noticed the top of my shock shaft sticking up through the mounting plate yesterday, have been thinking about it all damn day and took it to my buddy that works at tuffy to see what he thinks. If i bounce up and down on the suspension, the shock shaft doesn't budge and slide into the shock body period, like it should. The whole shaft just slides up and down through the entire mounting plate at the very top, what the hell? Question for any of u that have installed them, the top nut on the shock shaft that bolts the shaft to the carrier, is there anything on the backside of the threaded portion of the shock shaft (washer or flange) that holds the underside nice and tight. Think that's my problem, should be some type of washer/flange on the underside of the top shock mounting plate so the shock shaft doesn't slide all the way through the top mounting plate, correct? Just sent shockwarehouse an email to see what they say, since obviously i purchased through them. Just sucks ****, have a total of 4k miles on these and this happens. Here is another pic of the defective side so u can see the top of the shaft sticking up006.jpg

OP
OP
hemi1300

hemi1300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
don't think the shock is bound/seized up though. Took a large crescent wrench and pushed like hell on the top of the shaft, and it compressed into the shock body like normal. But as soon as i let go it shoots back up to the same position as seen in the photo

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
HMMM... I think that might be what you have to do...

OP
OP
hemi1300

hemi1300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
U guys are a huge help!! Thank you for the great advice!! Just kidding. Actually got it figured out, took it to my buddy at tuffy that originally installed them for me and he said the shock shaft busted right through the top of the strut plate and i need a new one (strut plate). Said he has seen it happen a few times. Should have it fixed for me tomorrow

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
um that should happen? my opinion i think there still something wrong. wrong shocks?

OP
OP
hemi1300

hemi1300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
they're the right shocks, checked and double checked when i received them and they rode perfectly until i noticed the top of the shaft sticking up through the top of the shock/strut plate. My thoughts, had the oem shocks replaced at the dealer at about 40k miles, and then just installed the bilstein shocks a few months ago, maybe from the shops struggling to remove the nut on top of the stock shocks-maybe used a torch or air chisel and weakend the metal around the mounting hole the shock goes through, and then one good bump it busted through. Not sure really, but my mechanic knew instantly what happened and said he has seen it before

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
maybe. I don;t know what the strut plate looks like. The cup on mine doesnt have the hole in the center since I have struts instead of shocks

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Love Bilstein's ordered mine today for the Ram had them on my last Durango and they made a big difference.

$miley