V-led license plate light...big fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ill start by saying this could be operator error but I tried to install my led license plate today. I took my tail light off and used a multi meter to find the reverse wire which on my 02 was purple. Used the tap type splice and connected the wire and the grounded the other end. NOTHING HAPPENS!!!. Thought it might be wires reversed so I switched them and still nothing. Of course I broke it trying to take it off because I used some silicon to seal it so ill chaulk this up to a $40.00 mistake. Glad I got on sale. So now I need to find the right L.E.D lights to go into my tail lights. Anyone know of some plug and play L.E.D. reverse Bulbs?

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
You shouldn't have needed a multimeter. Dont'cha have three plugs back there, one to the top light, middle light, and reverse light? Should've just been the one that went to the reverse light, and either was black or didn't have a black stripe.

Was there a White/Light Green wire back there?

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didn't want to tap into the wires that attach to the tail light. I tried to tape into the wires that came on the truck. Just in case I needed to take my tail light off I didn't want a splice attached to it. Same result should have been achieved right?

On the back of the tail light I had a blk wire and white wire going to the reverse bulb.

Last edited:

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Should be the same color wire all the way to the front. I bet the white wire has a light green stripe on it. Which would be the same wire ya need to attach to whereever you found it.

hemi1300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sounds like u have it wired in just like mine, and mine works flawlessly. I can still pull the tail light off, as the splice is on the harness coming through the tail light housing. The way i did mine, turned on the accessories and pulled the tail light. Used the multimeter to find the pos and neg wires while in reverse. Positive should be 12v in reverse and 0v in any other gear. Spliced the vled wires right to these, and if it didn't light up immediately (truck still engaged in reverse), i just simply swapped the polarity and it fired right up, which u stated u tried also. Not sure on your truck, but hopefully someone will chime in about what color wires u need to tap, something must be wired in wrong. Read many reviews before I purchased mine, and didn't find one negative post that it didn't work. I need to pull mine off anyway and seal the backside where all the led's are wired up on the circuit board bc water could easily get in there. Only other complaint I found was the clear plastic cover that houses the led's can come off in car washes and such, but I just put bead of clear rtv silicone around the entire perimeter of the clear lens

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Its not the same wire all the way up. I have aftermarket tail lights so the wires are different from the wire harness where the tail lights plug in all the way up front.

hemi1300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Did u take one of the wires from the vled directly to chassis and ground it? Not sure if it would matter or not, but I spliced both the wires from the vled to the pos/neg wires on the tail light. Maybe try splicing the wire u have grounded to the other wire coming to the light.

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did ground it. Maybe ill try going to the negative as well and see if that helps. Problem now is I broke the clear cover so I'm not sure its worth putting on at this point. Might just replace my reverse bulbs with some L.E.D bulbs. Not sure where to get those though.

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I would just tap into the wire from the tails. Just give yourself enough smack on the led wires. Then you won't have any problem removing your tails.

hemi1300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That should fix your problem, sux the clear led cover broke though. Which frame did u buy? If it's the black satin one I might be willing to buy it from u if you're just gonna trash it. I was trying a couple ways to mount my little backup cam on the led frame and ended up drilling 2 holes through it that I didn't use. Filled the holes with black silicone so they're hardly noticeable, but thought about replacing mine anyway. For backup lights I just recently installed a pair or reverse led Cree bulbs from retrosolutions and they helped out tremendously, like mini hid lights back there. Can't remember exactly which one's, but I will let the other thread u have posted do the work.

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes I got the black chrome or whatever they are calling it. If you interested ill sell it. Sending you PM.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock